Copy of a copy

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by mindwaste, Apr 23, 2006.

1. mindwaste

mindwaste Member

Hey guys heres the problem I am having. I burnt iso's using the only dvd media I had available then, crappy Nexxtech DVD+r's. I checked and all the games were running so I deleted the iso's from my computer. Now having spent 1 hour on the games I find I keep getting errors such as "Game disc is scratched...." <-- cant recall the exact words. So now I bought a spindle of new dvd+r's, I was wondering if there is a way to make a copy of a copy, hopefully a dvd-to-dvd option, I have a dvd-rom and a seperate dvd-writer. The process I used to burn them was:

1. Launch iso's in Craxtion.
    2. Patch them
    3. Burn

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    AXe

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

If your disks are working just copy them like a normal dvd..copy entire disk option in nero..slow..4x at most

Watch out with dvd+.. most xbox drives don't want to know 'em..

And a heads up.. Craxtion tends to make very glitchy copies. It's more for mastering homebrew software than ripping games.. The best tools for ripping are extractXiso and CloneXB.. really easy, followed by Qwix..A bit more technical..

So.. Rip with extractXiso (if it's a downloaded iso and you don't trust it or want to make it smaller)or transfer from xbox to pc, remaster to xiso with CloneXB..burn onto dvd-r.. Simple and easy.. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
  3. mindwaste

mindwaste Member

Thanks alot for your reply, I am going to try the dvd-to-dvd first and if that fails, I will use the xbox to pc option !

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Ok.. try doing it in the burner both ways, dvd rom drives have some issues with xbox discs. don't worry about xp saying blank or whatever, just cancel xp's nonsense and go with nero..

5. mindwaste

mindwaste Member

Also for future reference should I rewrite the iso's in extractXiso which says it makes them better or shall I extract them and then recompile them using CloneXB

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I wouldn't bother doing either unless you have a problem with any..All I usually do with glitchy ones is extract with xiso and just re-iso with cloneXB and it seems to work wonders..

I test for a scene-release group so I usually get an iso and rip it to put it on the harddrive..when it's working ok (xbe patch or whatever) I re-iso it and burn a copy.. Test that and if it's ok I upload the patch and the .lyt (layout) file and give the go ahead for release..

I never found that optimising the iso made any improvement, but Qwix has a useful function..cross linking identical files..That will usually make some of the problem games a little smaller.

Tomb Raider Legend for instance was released at 4.89GB..too big for a standard dvd..Taken apart and with the widescreen movies dumped it was still 4.55, but after cross linking it came in at 4.34GB..just right..so that's a really useful function

Technical stuff..usually all you will have to do is rip from the xbox and Xiso.. CloneXB will remove any media checks.. :)

edit I forgot.. have Alcohol120 as well..occasionally you get an awkward one that is too big for a cd 700MB or so, but when you try to put it on a dvd Nero says wrong media type, even though when you try a cd it says too small!!..burn in dvd raw-dao mode with Alcohol 120% solves the problem... That's a trade secret!! :)

If you need any help with anything give me a shout.. I'm usually about around this time of night..

Jan

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
  7. mindwaste

mindwaste Member

thanks your amazing... do you use msn messenger?

edit: the game in question with me is tomb raider legends lol... what are the chances...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  8. lisa222

lisa222 Guest

ya need to use nero it s the best and it works great

9. mindwaste

mindwaste Member

tomb raider is on the side.. i tried rogue soldier and i tried patching it with craxtion and it said that it is not a valid iso file... so i used extractXiso to unpack it and then i compiled it again in cloneXB but it said it removed no media checks... strange... anyways so i used alcohol to burn the iso then... i put the dvd in my xbox .. it just wouldnt work... it hangs my xbmc... if i eject the disc the xbmc starts working fnie again... then i tried dreamfall... i followed the above steps... same problem... i tried to ftp dreamfall to my xbox and it ran fine but the dvd keeps hanging up... as a last resort i unpacked the dreamfall iso using extractXiso and then patched the xbe using craxtion and this time it said one files patched succesfully.. so i compiled it as an iso this time using craxtion... once the iso was made i tried to open it again in craxtion to see if it would patch it or give the same "invalid iso error" i did that and it gave the same invalid iso error... i was like maybe its just saying that... so i burnt another dvd using nero this time... and now my xbmc doesnt hang up but if i run the disc then my xbox hangs... i dont know what am i doing wrong here... please help me run these games... im using Memorex dvd+r dvds... i have used maxell dvd+r's before and all the three games i had burnt on them ran.. so i dont think its an issue with dvd+r or dvd-r... tombraider i know i had used qwix with crosslink so thats nothing technical to me... but this is really pissing me off.. i just wasted 3 dvds... i have another brand of dvds lying around nexxtech...those are the dvds on which games run but inevitably end up with the "disc is scratched" error... i give up.. sigh

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

It's a dvd+ issue.. The only "reliable" dvd+ disks are verbatim..mega$$..That's why everything keeps hanging..the crappy xbox drives were made before + was common and the firmware isn't designed to read it...Memorex + are notorious..Maxell, well certain batches are ok but... Try a cheapo dvd- and see.. I always use ridata 8x dvd-r..over 600 so far..and only 2 failed burns.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2006