1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying Ps2 DVD-ROM Games to 700mb/80min cd!!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Dela, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Just thought I'd add a bit about copying Ps2 DVD-ROM based games. This post will be quite long but wont at all be enough info for you to backup and boot a ps2 (dvd) game.

By the way, people always ask, how do you tell if the game is dvd or cd-rom. Very easy!! Look at it! It will say nice and clearly, cd-rom or dvd-rom. If it says cd-rom, its very easy to copy because the disk capacity will be around that of a cd-r. You will definetly need a few tools to backup a dvd ps2 game!! here they are.

1. A PC (obviously)

2. A DVD-ROM drive (cd-rom wont do for a dvd game)

3. A HEX Editor (You will need to edit files)

4. Sony CD\DVD Generator software.

5. Dummy file maker (100's around).

6. Isobuster.

7. IML2ISo.EXE

8. CDR-WIN

9. A cd-writer

I dont know where you can get these files now but I am just waiting for www.come2store.com to fix upload problems and then you can download it from my account!

There are several different types of ps2 games so its gets harder. I am going to outline a small process that would copy some of the older dvd games! The problem with this method is, Sony like packing their folders in files now!

This is one of the easiest ways to copy some of ps2's games.

1. Place the game in the dvd drive.

2. Take note of the Volumn label (eg GTA3).

3. Use windows explorer to copy all files and folders to your hard drive (if there are no folders you have a new type of game so keep your eyes peeled on this forum for when I (or someone else) get around to it.

4. So you like the movies your ps2 has eh??? TOO BAD they are going to be replaced with dummy files, but first we must locate them!!

NOTE: Ps2 movies usually end in .pss. Funny enough, its actually very rare to see many of them on a disk!

Take note of the name and location of any pss file you delete (to create a later dummy).

5. So that didn't free up a lot of space eh.. Ok there's still more here probably. They just dont end in .pss. In fact all of the following are movies

MO2.MV3, MO4.MV3, MO5.MV3, M06.NV3, M07.MV3, M08.MV3, M10.MV3, M11.MV3, M14.MV3, M15.MV3, M16.MV3, M19.MV3

If your deleting any take note of name and location!!

Now, if you were to replace all the movies with dummy files, you'd definetly free up a lot of space!!!!

But the problem is, they might not be all of the movies (sigh!!)

5. You can find more files by comparing movie headers with those of mystery files that you think may be dvd because of size. You caompare headers with a hex editor.

On most of the first ps2 games, this isnt a problem at all so i'll skip it for this one.

6. Now we need to replace these files with dummy files. Another solution is to get the smallest movie file you found and copy it and just rename it over and over until you have replaced em all. If all the files are big, then dummy files are the best.

NOTE: You can make a fake pss movie with TMPGEnc. However, thats a whole new process so i'll skip it in this one.

There are a lot of dummy file makers. Don't let names fool you either (eg. Dreamcast Dummy File Creator will work) You can also use hex editing to change the header of a dummy file so that the ps2 thinks its a movie!! In most cases it wont matter though.

If you are following this guide (which you shouldnt be, this is only an outline) then you should make 1mb dummy files.

7. This is the most important part of a copy!!! DVD Checks. Yes they often do dvd checks and a dvd-rom game that cant find its dvd wont work!. You will be using a hex editor to this.

8. You would now use cd/dvd generation software to make up and image. You would also use isobuster here.

9. You would now be extracting an iml file (we'll see this later) and using iml2iso to well you can guess.

10. CDRWIN would be the software of choice to burn the disk. This would be a game you could boot with a mod-chip or the knife or cog boot methods (keep your eyes on this forum). Now before you go mad and start telling me how much you cant understand, remember, this is just the layout of some of the things you do copying ps2 games.

Ps2 games are so different from each other that its going to be hell getting used to copying dvd games. Sometimes it will be hard to figure out the process that game requires, even for the pro's (which I am very far from!!).

The reason I posted this is to show that yes it is possible to make a copy of a dvd game and that is just one of loads of different processes you may work with.

As soon as the www.come2store.com uploads are fixed, I will make availible a lot of tools and infos that can help you out in copying your games.

Stick to copying your dvds just now!! lol!!

see yas all on the forum.

2. HeHateMe9

HeHateMe9 Guest

Hey dude im tryin to do this game called ncaa gamebreaker 2003 and there are bin files with the .pss and they are really big and i will have enough room if i can get rid of them would have enough room. any answers?

Also the dreamcast dummy file maker i have dont work any other programs that will work can u send me an email letin me know my email is *removed-by-webmaster* thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2002
  3. Dela

Yep. I know just the program you need (that includes every1!!!). It's called the Atlantis Ps2 Backup Toolkit. It's purpose is for you to process a ps2 game until it will

1. fit on a cd
    2. play with a modchip in your ps2(or swap method whatever you like yourself!)

http://gaidin.20megsfree.com/download.html

You require the vb6 runtime files to install and use (WinXP, ME, 2000 & 98v2 have it pre-installed!)

P.S. I have added your email address to a list I have built to send ps2 info (not spam, its copying and downloading info) to you!!

Anyone else want to be added to the list, send me your email address IN A PRIVATE MESSAGE or spammers could take your email address and send you shit!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2002
  4. HeHateMe

HeHateMe Guest

Dude thanks a bunch i couldnt find shit

5. HeHateMe

HeHateMe Guest

ok i have another ? I dont know which dvd check to get rid of can u help me i have a total of 6 things that show up when i use alantis there are as followed.....

1.000005b48: 01 00 04 24 E0 17 04 0C 01 00 05 21 02 00

2.0001FAD4: 01 00 01 24 04 00 05 8E 88 79 04 0C 02 00

3.0002B808: 01 00 04 24 64 86 06 6C 02 00 04 24

4.0002BEAC: 01 00 04 24 80 86 06 0C 02 00 04 24

5.0003525C: 01 00 04 24 12 00 40 14 01 00 02 24 44 D0

6.000D0430: 01 00 04 24 2D 28 00 02 84 1A 07 0C 02 00

do i have to change any or delete any or just leave them i cant find out and i dont wanna waste cds tryin one by one lol. thanks. Also if u have aim or aol or anything u could talk to me with. My aim name is twiztid1287 thanks

6. Dela

Sorry i don't have aim or aol!

DVD checks send one simple message to a ps2, "if the media is incorrect, stop!". You cant delete these strings!!! So the best thing to do is change em!!. look at the end of the string and go through the numbers. You will find 02 in them. Thats is the stop command!! changing it to 01 then is the continue command so now the check tells the ps2 "if its incorrect media, continiue", and thats what we want!

The important string in ps2 games is 0200 0424 (remember that every1 if you need to use a hex editor to change your checks!). Obviosly these checks could vary, but thus far, luckily, it hasn't!!! BUT WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!

Not all are dvd checks!!! you can be missleaded. Its ok if you only get one potential but unfortunally, you got 6. The trick here is to notice similaritys between strings and the most similar you listed are 3.0002B808 and 4.0002BEAC. I often get stuck here to and need to get someone to tell me which should I change!! I would try here to change both of these strings! change the 02 to 01 in both. Thats only a suggestion however, I'm no expert on copying ps2 games to 700mb cd's! I'll send an email to you with a word document. Its a guide on copying ps2 games to 700mb disks (you won't need most of the tools it asks for!) but it has some good stuff on dvd checks!

7. HeHateMe

HeHateMe Guest

Hey on this game when i open hex to find the 0200 0424 there are 20 lol im not that good yet so u think if i sent u the file u could see which one i could change.

8. Dela

Search by the string numbers atlantis shows you eg 0001FAD4 instead of the 0200 0424 and then change them!

9. spatub

spatub Guest

when i use atlantis it keeps coming up with can find file filelist.txt in project directry why is it doing tis evertime i try to back up my cd

10. spatub

spatub Guest

sorry i meant it cant find that file for some reason

11. dfgh11

dfgh11 Guest

Dela: just thought I'd inform you... that link of yours doesn't work

12. Dela

Ye i know, he got shut down!!

13. pete99

pete99 Member

please help me. im trying to copy a cd rom.

14. Dela

If its a cd-rom game then get Clone CD and make a direct copy and it will work with a modchip installed!

15. segakev

segakev Guest

Can someone please help me find a place to download Sony CD\DVD Generator Software. I tried the link in the earlier reply and it doesn't work. It would be a great help.

16. newrycity

newrycity Member

dela u mention clone cd which i have the 21 day trial version. it says it can copy games but everytime i try i get so far and the an error message comes up saying not enough room. what am i doing wrong.

ps. im really new 2 this so be easy on me..

17. pete99

pete99 Member

Dela. thanks for last. soory to be so ignorant, but what's a mod chip?

18. itsajoker

itsajoker Guest

can you please send me the file please thanks itsajoker@aol.com

19. Dela

Dont mean to be ignorant! Whats a modchip??? Thats not ignorance, its a straight forward question!!

Its a chip you put in your console that will play copied games!!

20. compy168

compy168 Member

I found a site that contains a long list of patches for PS2 games. Do I need them to for DVD to CD-rom back up?