COPYNG XBOX GAMES TO DVD + R MEDIA HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by nino69, Sep 20, 2005.

1. nino69

nino69 Member

hi all im new to a.d i would like to burn xbox iso's to dvd + r media since my dvd burner is only capable of burning dvd + r disks. I've read on various other forums that xbox games should be burnt with dvd - r media. Some say that it depends on your mod chip, however i suspect it has to do only with the dvd reader equipped on the xbox. Anyone with information regarding this, please help i'd really appreciate it!!!.

Any advice welcome -
    NINO~

xxedit

I've established that my xbox CAN read dvd+r disks since i've played a dvd burnt on dvd + r media. The movie dvd works fine, will it be the same with burnt games?

I wont buy the mod chip till i've established that i can indeed burn dvd+r disks with my burner, and have them played

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I have used DVD+R disc on my Xbox system. Tho I dont have many cause I uasly rip them to my 300gig hard drive. But I have used them.

All you can do is test 1 and see if it works and if it doesnt work then maybe try changing the booktype from DVD+R to DVD-ROM which you can do in DVD Decryptor. Or in Nero.

And just so you know this is an Xbox question and should have been placed in the Xbox discusion forum. But dont multi post. Maybe a mod will place it there.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I'll try to get this moved to the X Box section.

Jerry

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

5. Maniax

Maniax Member

I think it really doesnt matter if its DVD+R or DVD-R i have games both + and - and they all work fine. So i really think it doesnt matter what format it is.

6. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

It has nothing to do with the modchip. It's mainly dependant on the dvd writer drive on your computer. Most drives will automatically change the booktype setting from DVD+R to DVDROM when burning a dvd+r disc to give it greater compatibility with dvd players. Some drives don't do this but you can use utilities or the burning software to change the booktype for you as it burns.

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

[bold]Most drives will automatically change the booktype setting from DVD+R to DVDROM when burning a DVD+R disc [/bold]

I disagree with that statment.

Your burrner dosent automaticly burn a DVD+R disc as DVD-ROM. The only way is to set up the program your using to burn to do it that way or you use a utility to do it.

8. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

[bold]That's not true[/bold]
    My first drive was an HP +r 2.4X drive that I used to burn numerous movies and xbox games. Never had any problems with my xbox or other standalone dvd players reading the discs. Never went into any of the settings or used a utilty to change the booktype setting. All the discs worked and I was a happy camper.
    Wanted a faster drive so I bought a Plextor 12X Dvd+/-R drive and started burning +r discs. None of them would work, burned good media at very slow speeds and still no go. Would burn -R discs and the discs worked fine. I eventually found out that if I used a certain version of NERO and changed the booktype setting to dvdrom that the discs would work.
    How do you suppose that my first HP+R drive's discs worked if it didn't automatically change the booktype setting?

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

either you had a program changing it or the burrner just burnt better copies or your media was better. I bet if you took an old backup and looked it would be a DVD+R burn. All you have to do is look at a DVD that your old burrner burnt and open it in NERO and check the disc information and see.

10. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

I was burning the [bold]exact same[/bold] discs the [bold]exact same way[/bold] with the [bold]exact same[/bold] software and I was [bold]not[/bold] using a utility or a version of Nero that had the option of changing the booktype. I had to find a new(at the time) version of Nero with this ability to get the +R discs to work on the new drive. I changed absolutely nothing in the way I burned the discs. After installing the new drive, [bold]no[/bold] +R discs would work. How do you explain that without going into your know everything "you must of used better media or had a program changing it" [bold]crap[/bold]

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Did you put in a disc that you burned with your old burrner and read the disc info which will tell you if it was burnt as a DVD-ROM or DVD+R do it and be honest at what it says. I bet it says DVD+R

12. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

of course it's going to say dvd+r, changing the booktype isn't going to change the media. You be honest, take a +R or a -R and burn a disc, change the booktype to dvdrom and use Nero's disc info tool and see what it says after. It's still going to say dvd+r or dvd-r no matter what.

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Your wrong the booktype after changing it from DVD+R to DVD-ROM will be DVD-ROM after the burn. Nero will list the booktype as DVD-ROM not DVD+R cause you changed it to DVD-ROM

Also you cant take a DVD-R disk and change it to a DVD-ROM disc.

I have serched and a few DVD burrners do booktype as DVD-ROM by default. But most burner dont automaticly do it you have to do it by setting the burrning program to do it or have a Utility to do it.

So to state that most burrners do DVD-ROM by default is false.

14. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Did you burn a dvd+r and change the booktype to dvdrom and then check the cd info within Nero? [bold]I didn't think so[/bold]
    Your having a hard enough time just spelling correctly and making your sentences make sense, I guess I can't expect you to actually double check your beliefs.

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

All of my DVD+R media that I have changed to DVD-ROM say DVD-ROM as booktype in nero disc info after the burn. You sure do get defensive dont you. Now you have to stoop to saying crap about how a person types on the forum and making sense.

My sentences make complete sense.

If you have correctly booktyped your DVD+R disc as a DVD-ROM disc, then nero will give the booktype as DVD-ROM in the disc info.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  16. nino69

nino69 Member

so far this is what i've ascertained from the replies (much appreciated, all):

changing the booktype from nero resolves the problem of the xbox dvd player not recognizing dvd+r media (or dvd-, for that matter).

others have said that the speed at which it is burned matters. What is the ideal speed? any consensus?

I could go about this by trial and error, but that would mean wasting a bunch of blank dvd+r disks. I'm afraid of using dvd+rw because it has a different readability in many drives (inferior owing to the RW dye). If i was to do the trial and error thing i would therefore use dvd+r, = waste so i'd rather not go there.

What is the systematic approach? Does dvd+/- r work regardless? And what of speed?
    One last question, what version of nero supports changing the booktype?

Once again thanks ALOT to everyone I really appreciate this. If we can ascertain the specifics of what would and would not work maybe the mods can sticky it because so far ALL the back up guides fail to mention what works and what doesnt (where media is concerned) and i think its an issue worth addressign because the cost of the dvd writer is significant and there are many people out there with out dvd+r writers likewise many without dvd-r writers.

NINO

17. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The best compatibility format for backup's is DVD-R.

That dosent mean DVD+R are bad and wont work. It all depends on the Drive you have in your Xbox.

All systems are diffrent (Xbox, PS2, GC, Home DVD Players etc) on what format DVD it will except. Some will only read DVD-R some will read both DVD-R and DVD+R. It just depends on the format it likes best.

So if your burrner can burn DVD-R media then id start there. Make sure it is good quility media.

Now with DVD+R media. I can burn DVD+R media and it will play on pretty much all my systems I have, but that dosent mean you would have the same outcome.

If you burn with DVD+R media and you have problems getting your system to read it then try to booktype the DVD+R media to DVD-ROM for better compatibility. This does not mean it will fix the compatibility issue. it could work or not.

Always burn your backups at 4x or less never faster.

My nero version is 6.6.0.6 even tho the newest version is 6.6.0.16 which I havent downloaded yet.

Anyway that is my opinion about it.

More information. You need to download a program like quix to make an xISO for your Xbox iso's to be burnt on backup DVDs.

18. nino69

nino69 Member

if i've downloaded the xbox iso's that come in a regular .iso extension, is it necessary to use a program like quix? thanks !!

edit**

stupid question i checked out quix and i figured it out ~

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  19. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

I know the Booktype is changed from dvd+r to dvdrom. The disc info still shows the DVD+r disc as a DVD+r disc with a dvdrom booktype setting.
    I didn't appreciate you basically calling me a liar with this statement.
    And yes, [bold]alot[/bold] of drives [bold]do[/bold] automatically change the booktype to dvdrom.

20. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still shows the disc as a DVD+R with booktype setting as dvdrom.
    [​IMG]