Copyright question

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Pony321, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

After backing up dvd movies they would be considered region free, ntsc and with no copyright protection. This means when my kids take the backups over to their friends to watch there is always the possibility for others to copy the backup. I would like to prevent this by copy protecting the backup. Not sure on how to do this but I'll look into this. Since I'm using Nero 6 to do the burning perhaps there's an option within nero 6 to accomplish this. In the meantime I'm up for any suggestions. Thanks.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi pony321,

Consider, just as you ripped the DVD to begin with, anyone else can rip a copy with little effort.

The best way to protect anything is my having it password protected but that would defeat the purpose of allowing it out of the house wouldn't it ?

The only logical suggestion would be to allow the kids out with the originals only. If one is damaged OR the "Dog ate it." you could always make a copy from your backup. The ideal of having your copy protected disc at home, where no one will copy it is of questionable value BUT, each to his own.

Remember, it doesn't take any education at all to download and follow a good ripping guide. I know because, as you know, I write quite a few of those, "Easy as pie" guides :)

Enjoy the kids and the problems they present you with, those days pass quickly and are soon lost to memory -

Cheers my friend,

Pete

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

I have to agree with Pete on this. If your kids and their friends are technically adept enough to copy a dvd then removing protection from it would not be much of a problem for them. Any nonstandard copy protection that you could put on it would then make it unplayable in a dvd player so that's not a good solution either.