1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Costco TDK injet printable media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by rayboy, Jan 23, 2006.

1. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

I bought TDK injet (stack ring) printable -R 16X at Costco $43 for 200 (with coupon) .
    The media code TTH02 and speed is 4X (Not 16X as the box said). My burner is Pioneer DVR108 and firmware 1.10 . Do I need to up grade firmware to get 16X speed ????

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I really hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but .... TTH02 media is not very good ... there, I got it out as nicely as possible ...

My recommendation is to return the discs and buy better ones .. that aside, update your firmware to the newest you can find, and burn that TTH02 stuff as   s l o w l y  as your burner will allow you to

If you burn those discs too fast, all you'll have to show for your hard earned cash is an excessive number of coasters ...

3. SiberXX

SiberXX Member

I have to disagree with Catfreak's dislike for TDK's disks.

I have used approximately 250 tdk's 1-8x disc and not ONE COASTER.. Other brands occasionaly have problems but never with a TDK. I was so f***en impressed that when Costco offered their buy 100 get 100 free, I bought 400 1-16x TDKs and I expect no problems from them.

As for the burning speed, My cheapie NEC 3500AG 16x burns the 8X discs at 8X. When I get my next movie, I'll try one of the 16x discs... but I expect 16x.

Anyway, some recorders have trouble with different discs so I guess you should go to the corresponding homepage and see what discs they recommend to use in their recorders.

Also, they are really convenient to lable. I just use a magic marker and write on the printable surface.

Here is a site you might find useful: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Well I agree w/ Catfreak. There have been numerous posts - esp nero logs showing burn failures w/ tdk's that id out as the poorer quality manufacturer like TTH02. The problem with tdk is they use some iffy/crappy manufacturers. Definitley update your firmware and burn these slow.
    SiberXX you could have bought some made by one of the better ones like TY or MCC. You also might want to edit your post about the netflix bit.
    Better discs would be Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden which are almost always recommended by the different drive manufacturers.

5. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

TDK is horrible Media ....i bought mine from costco as well and had a bad time with those dvd's. I listened to catfreak, saugmon and doc ty....let me tell you, those guys speak the truth... i am forever grateful to them! you'll be going along just fine with that TDK media and bam! one day like me you will say,.... why didn't i just listen to those guys on afterdawn ??? you will see ...oh you will see the truth. ....tdk, cmc mag = a nightmare in my dvd burner.....TDK Media at 30 cents a scoop! makes my dvd player go Poop!!!!!/ unjust

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

And it even gets worse with TDK dvd+r media. 50/50 chance of getting the dreaded cmc mags. Verbatims for me thank you.

7. SiberXX

SiberXX Member

Ok, I forgot to say that my recorder is of the +R variety. No problems for ages with TDK. Memorex on the other hand bytes. I use verbatim for my CD's and yes, no problems either.

My feelings on all this per se TDK vs Verbatim vs Taiyo is that whatever works with your burner, stick with it. If not, switch to another quality recordable disc.

out

8. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@SiberXX

well, if you disagree with Catfreak's dislike, then you will [bold]vehemently [/bold] disagree with MY opinion of TDK as well~ :)

catfreak's dislike of TDK pales in comparison to how much I PERSONALLY detest TDK media, especially their OWN manufactured product, with the "TT" heading on various rated speeds and format...
    ie. TTG01/TTG02/TTH01/TTH02/TDK001/TDK002/TDK003, etc..

you couldn't even GIVE me TDKs, let alone consider the fact i would actually PAY for them...i got 8 diff. burners (6 internal desktop ones and 2 laptop ones...with various manufacturers such as Liteon, Sony, Pioneer, NEC, Benq, even a crappy Optorite) that i get piss poor performance from them on...i totally agree with both catfreak and binkie7's evaluation of TDK media...they are at the bottom of the rung IN MY EYES and on my various setups for backups~

unjust2u said it perfectly,
    while i'm glad that you have had success with them on your NEC 3500, i have the next model up, the NEC 3520a...TDK discs crap out every single time (this example is just with NEC as it seems like a "fair" comparison with a similar drive that you own too) :p

lastly, yes, we all have our OWN preferences for media and you might have gotten lucky in the 8x dvd-r format if you got the TY's or the MCC's as binkie alluded to...but the TTG02 & the TTH01 that are made by TDK in the 8x dvd-r format SUCK a big one. :)

final word...DIGITALFAQ's "list of media" is SO OUTTA DATE with so many incorrect/biased "rankings" that it's not even funny. to put TDK on the 1st tier as "first class media" is a joke...i've seen newbies throw up that link as if it were "etched in stone"...the ONLY thing that digitalfaq link is good for is to use it as a "general guideline" to base your media purchases on...as companies CHANGE manufacturers at a moment's notice, THAT is why they are no longer accurate...some of their media IDs no longer even correspond to the ACTUAL media/manufacturers anymore...the discrepencies FILL that site with outdated/inaccurate info. :0

to @rayboy

i would go with catfreak's recommendation, as i have the pioneer dvr-109 (just one model up from your drive)...RETURN those crappy TDK discs if you WANT to "get 16x speed" if your heart so desires...you will easily be able to get faster speeds with the Verbatim 16x MCC004 (dvd+r) or the Taiyo Yuden 16x TYG03 (dvd-r) depending on which format you prefer...

i can tell you right now that MY pioneer dvr-109 hates TDK's media with a passion, (and i even use hacked buffalo firmware to allow bitsetting on dvd+r media)...even more so than my Benq, Liteon, and Sony drives that i use regularly...

good luck with your decision...

docTY~

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Goodness, long day doc?

10. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

LOL, hi buddy...yah, just got some sleep so i'm feeling a bit rejuvenated after my almost 2 day stint without any sleep :)

TDK sucks, i just wanted to "elaborate" on the topic...lol

good day to you Mort81 (my wife says "hi" too) :)

docTY~

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

12. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

The TDK 1-16X media at Costco (Buy one get one free) is a crap shoot. The + 16X I got were Made in India by MBI and believe it or not they were pretty good. .20 a disc for printable media is a good price and all my backups have been very good, not as good as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim but they didn't cost .75 cents a disc either. By the way all the Verbatim discs that are MIT are Made by Prodisc or CMC now so you cannot really evaluate a disc by the Company name.

13. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

Whoa, Verbatim are made by CMC now ????? Is Verbatim going to go poop?!! oh no!

14. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

On my desk this morning a gift was left for me - a 10 pack of TDK -r's!!
    My 1st thought ugh! But thought well maybe I'll get lucky and these will be made by someone good - not!! ID as TTG02. Oh well at least they came in nice cases and I can use them at least.

15. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

@ALAND:
    Were you saying that the Verbatim white printables are CMC or Prodisc, or all MIT DVD-R Verbs. The ones I got at BB last month were MCC.

16. RichDee

RichDee Member

I just Bought the 100 pack of DVD-R white printable Verbatims at Sams Club. They are MCC..They Work Great..Have A Liteon burner.

17. dcusk1971

dcusk1971 Member

Are the DVD-R white printable Verbatims at Sams Club hub printable?

18. budberner

budberner Guest

I had not heard cmc-verbatims. So I just cracked open the ones I bought from BB. All came up MCC-004 Thank goodness

19. RichDee

RichDee Member

dcusk1971...

They are not hub printable..But the print surface is pretty nice. They have a better print surface then the Maxwells I bought that was printable to the hub. They are coming up as ....MCC 03RG20....So far they have worked great for me...I had to learn how to adjust the printer to get good prints. the more I play with the settings on the printer the better they look..100 for about $41.00 They also had the DVD+R I think I'll try them next time, Same price.

Rich

20. dcusk1971

dcusk1971 Member

RichDee...

What printer are you using and what are the settings? I currently have the Epson R220.

Thanks....