D/L & U/L Bandwidth

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by SONY007, May 17, 2003.

1. SONY007

SONY007 Member

Is it possible to share some of your d/l bandwidth to increase your u/l bandwidth ? I've got a 2mb blueyonder cable connection but my u/l speed is still only 256 kb/s.

2. bare490

bare490 Member

Doesn't 256 kb/sec translate to 2.56 megas a second?

3. IMRANmel

IMRANmel Regular member

no it doesn't 256Kb is hey presto only 256KiloBytes/second
    there are 1024 KB in a single 1Mb you blueyonder cable conection is only restricted to 256kb this cannot be changed
    neway it should bro
    a 2Mb (which is prob a 256Kb download speed) line most people dont even get to taste that kinda of connection i mean ur downloads must be complete hella quik

Last edited: Jun 5, 2003
  4. bonton

bonton Guest

I think there is a bit of byte and bit confusion here. Modems measure transfers in thousands of bits (Kb) whereas downloads tend to be measured in thousands of bytes (KB). There are, of course, 8 bits in a byte. So a 2Mb modem speed gives a flat out 256KB download speed. And you can’t go flat out. The file sharing application you’re using takes up some of that bandwidth for it’s own purposes and the TCP/IP internet protocols also use a bit of it. It would avoid all the confusion if modem speeds were measured in bytes but it sounds faster in bits and modem manufacturers like that.
    I have a 56Kb modem which in theory gives me a download speed of 7KB but I never actually get this. If I get in the high 4s I’m happy, a 5 and I’m ecstatic.
    As a guide the eMule connection wizard gives a 7KB maximum download capacity and 4KB maximum upload capacity for a 56Kb modem with limits set at 6KB and 3KB respectively to allow for overheads.