Defragmenting my hard drive

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hobbsy123, Jun 16, 2004.

1. hobbsy123

hobbsy123 Member

Hi,
    I have been trying to defragment my hard drive and have had no success. The system states the last time I completed the task was over 800 days ago, but I have tried unsuccessful everytime. Anyway when it starts, everything looks normal and it starts out at 0% then shortly it will go to 1% then shortly after that it goes back to 0% and keeps going back and forth between the 0% and 1% completed. I have disabled my screen saver and nothing else is running. I leave my computer on all night long, only to find it still at 0% or 1% completed?????
    HELP....
    Sue

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wow!

800 days is about 770 days too long. I'd venture to say that your HD is beyond windows' ability to deal with.

A third party app such as Diskeeper may be worth a shot though :)

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I'd argue that defragging isnt that useful but agreed you might be interested in a 3rd party application like that or Norton's Speeddisk :)

4. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

If all fails...try a reformat if you want that badly...
    I hear reformatting comp once every 6 month is a
    decent idea...
    Hoped this helped

5. buzzoon

buzzoon Member

Just don't forget to back up your HDD first :)

6. Praetor

Or at least just the parts you want to keep :p

7. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

The reason why its not degragmenting is because their is a program open that is constantly trying to write to the hard drive. Therfore everytime somethings is written, it has 2 resart. Close all programs on the taskbar and give that a go.

Regards
    CoZZa

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Also do not use your computer when you are trying to defag. So turn off your anti-virus, unplug your internet conntection and turn off your screen saver. As well as what Cozza said and it should work.

I agree with Preator, you really don`t need to defrag after every 10days. My last defrag was so couple months ago. And I am only at 14%, still lots of time.

9. Praetor

I format once or twice a day ... does that count as a defrag? I would imagine so but I'm not familiar with the defragging processes.

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Preator, there is no way you can format every day. I have gone through sperts of formating, as Win98 sucks and doesn`t always install correctly. Some times takes 8 to 10 times to get it right. My girlfriend is still threating to buy me a shirt that says:
    Because of Windows, I am formating Now.

I think that would be great.

11. Praetor

Dude a format and reinstall takes 30 minutes. Software installtion and the tweaks that follow take all of one hour. Furthermore, if one ghosts, the entire task can be done in 5 minutes.

12. Buik

Buik Regular member

One thing I have not seen mentioned is "you have to have enough free hard disk space". If you do not have enough free space, then the de-fragger cannot write to a temporary file in order to put the files in order.

Does anyone remember the sheer joy one experienced after defragging a 420mb HD on a 486 dx2 66, win 3.11, using Norton Desk top? The increase in speed was incredible.

Anyway, there has to be enough free space on the hard drive. You cannot defrag a full disk.

TC

13. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Good point, I forgot about that. But don`t you usually get different kind of error associated with space limitations. If I can still remember, when it happend to me once it requires a Scan disk and kicks you there. But now with 60Gb drives its been a while, it might be all the same now.
    Preator, you must have a fast system. I test OS on my old P1 200MHz and was benching the time on that thing. It takes 80min to just do a Windows 98 install on it. Redhat was good at 3hrs but would include everything. I don`t use ghosts, I like fresh installs.

14. Praetor

Not particularly fast ... not in my opinion anyways ... even on a P3-800 it dont take more than 50 minutes ... but back on topic..........

15. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

Well, if you're tech savvy, I suggest you use an operating system other than Windows. Windows has a bad way of writing to the hard drive. UNIX and Linux don't have to defragment. I suggest you use Linux if you're really getting annoyed by fragmentation. But as for me on my computer with 3 hardrives each containing 10 gigs each, I just defrag once a week and it defragments fine and quickly. Don't procrastinate and let your HD get too messy.

16. Buik

Buik Regular member

xbennyboy

Try to be more diplomatic. I am not an M$ fan. I use it because most applications are written for it. So do most people.

When I defrag, I use Norton. That is not M$ is it?

If you want to "plug" Linux, please do so. Maybe on another forum tho. I would love to be M$ free. I, like all the rest, still need to use our hardware & software.

TC

17. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

I'm not an MS fan either. Currently having problems of my own. Don't get me into politics. Politics piss me off right now. I mean Arnold Swarzeneggar as our governor. Damn stupid Californians. Well anyway, just suggesting linux as a good alternative, but what do you mean by "plugging"

18. Operanut

Operanut Member

I use Diskeeper 8 which I have running in the background. No need to stop everything. It defrags daily or weekly depending on how you've set it up.
    I have 3 HD - 40 GB, 120 GB and 80 GB and move files around a lot. Defrag is essential otherwise everythings slows down after time.

19. Praetor

No it isnt

Advertising/touting Linux.

20. Buik

Buik Regular member

I knew that. I was just being facetious.