Deleting Program Files Folder

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by gobble412, Sep 28, 2008.

1. gobble412

gobble412 Member

I recently did a clean install of x64 Windows Vista Ultimate from x86 Windows Vista Home Premium, and now I have two Programs Files Folders, one being named just "Program Files" and the other being "Program Files(x86)" I really just want to merge the two folder's files together, and delete the x86 folder, but every time I go to delete, it tells me "You need permission to perform this action". I really want to delete this folder, because it is just taking up space, and confusing me when files are automatically installed there. I'm currently running under administrator, however, it does not allow me to change the security options for any of the Program Files folders. Any suggestions on how I can delete this folder?

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Have you turned User Account Control off in Control Panel? This option in Vista is there to stop people doing "silly things" like deleting their Program Files folder ;-) (Search for UAC in Control Panel to find the option to turn it off)

Then you should be bale to copy your Program Files from your old install to Program Files for your new install and then delete the redundant folder.

3. gobble412

gobble412 Member

I tried your suggestion, but it still isn't working. It continues saying the same thing when I try to delete.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Does it give you an option to go to the "security" tab when it says you need permission?

If so, go into it and allow yourself full control over said folders.

5. gobble412

gobble412 Member

I do that every time, but it says that the changes made couldn't be kept and it still doesn't let me delete.

6. i_am_alex

i_am_alex Regular member

Safe mode maybe?

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Sorry for not replying - yeah, try it in safe mode?

Vista is a bitch for permissions..