Desktop clutter!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by limelight, May 22, 2005.

1. limelight

limelight Regular member

Have a dumb question: I have a lot of desktop icons cluttering up my screen. Id like to transer them to the start menu (NOT "pin to start menu"). What i mean is put them in a folder i can create like, start->programs->dvdapplications. so i can keep all my same files and such in a folder within the start menu for easy access.

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

It would probably be easier to JUST delete the ones you arent using and when you need them just click start then all programs and go to the program you need. since you arent using them on your desktop then you arent going to need them that often anyway so why go to the trouble of putting them all in a folder when there already in your all program section

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You could right click on the Start button and select Explore. You will see your Programs folder. Double click on your Programs folder, and it will open.

Click on File/New, and make a new folder, naming it whatever you want. Now that it is created, leave that box open, and drag your icons from the desktop, into that folder. You can find that folder again, by going back to Start/All Programs.

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I let xp create the unused desktop icons folder for me and let it clean up a bunch. I drag some in there on my own once in a while and occassionally drag some out when I find renewed intrest in an app....granted I'm adding another folder to the desktop, but I got rid of a bunch.

to let xp clean the desktop and give you an Unused Icons folder on your desktop, click

Start>control panel>display>desktop tab>customize desktop>clean desktop now

It places them in the folder based on the last time you used it.....

Last edited: May 24, 2005