desktop icon wont click & windows media player prob

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by m4a1, Jun 26, 2004.

1. m4a1

m4a1 Member

still kind of new here after 2 years of being inactive.. soooo whenever i try to click on my desktop icons they wont respond. they only work if i restart my comp and after a while i cant click on them again. i've scanned my comp for viruses etc. im using avg trial version right now to see if there is any. i have norton 2003 prof. and they dont detect any. when i use http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp (online scan) they find 1 trojan that's not accessable. could anyone tell me how to fix this problem.

2. I also have 1 more problem. i just upgraded to windows media player 10 beta and i tried to roll back to version 9 but i found i had to restore my comp back to that point but it fails everytime i run system restore. so i tried reinstalling windows media player 10 beta and when its finished it says "an interanal application error has occured" i checked google for this and i tried different ways to fix this but it still doesnt work. anyone can help??

thanks

2. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

Run Windows XP setup in repair mode. Unless you don't have XP. I suggest you reinstall your system

3. m4a1

m4a1 Member

how you run in repair mode?

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yikes! Sounds painful as hell, did Google have anything for you (perhaps a lotion...)
    But seriously, if you can ID the trojan you can download a specific fix from
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html
    And, stay away from WMP if possible ;-)
    No lotion will help you with it.
    Regards

5. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

Don't upgrade to WMP 10 yet. Its beta and still unstable. Stick to 9 for now. As for the trojan, don't clean it, just delete the file.

To run in repair mode, insert xp cd at boot up. Make sure your bios is set so that it tries to boot from CD-ROM first. It will load some files then press enter when it prompts you. Don't go into the recovery console. Then it will detect for previous XP installations. An installation will show up after a while. Press R. Then go from there. Good luck!

6. m4a1

m4a1 Member

i booted from cd but when i type in "r" it automatically goes to the recovery console and it gives me an option to press enter to canel and restart computer

7. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

Did you press R after it detected the Windows installation?

8. m4a1

m4a1 Member

ok ok ok ok........i dont wanna burst but i only got two words for you xbennyboy!!...............................
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i did as you said by repairing windows. i had some difficulties at first (heart was beting like crazy) but i got through. Except i
    still ended up with windows media player 10 beta. is that bad?? when windows comes out with an official release will it overwrite beta 10 and fix all the bugs? im still testing the after result of reparing windows. thanks very
    much xbennyboy. imma post back if i get any problems since you know what to do. is that ok? THANKS

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004