1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Device Not Ready (Incompatible Medium Installed)?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by GC2, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. GC2

    GC2 Guest

    Hi All,

    firstly great site, I've found it an invaluable source of reference in the past. Unfortunately I can't locate any answers through the search facilty, so have started this thread.

    My problem:

    Using decrypter and shrink without any probs until recently. Now I get an error "Device Not Ready (Incompatible Medium Installed)". I recently added the following programs and was wondering whether I've caused some sort of conflict.

    XCopy Platinum
    Ulead Movie Factory
    GameJack 4
    Clonecd
    Alcohol 120

    Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.
     
  2. Jizmak

    Jizmak Regular member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Messages:
    2,584
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    46
    Update your firmware.
    It will drasticly increase your compatibility with dvd media types.
    Use quality media. (It is easily recognized)---- Verbatim

    You can use DVD decrypter as a guide.

    All you need is ANYDVD and dvd shrink for DVD backups.
    DVD decrypter is great for ps2 games and any dvd .iso
    Alcohol 120% is good for mounting virtual images and cd-roms.

    Thats all you really need. I currently use all these and they work well together.

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  3. GC2

    GC2 Guest

    Thanks for the speedy reply. But, that doesn't explain what the error message means. As I said I've not had any problems until recently and suspect it might be something I've installed. Also, looking at my system restore point info. There seems to be some sort of universal SCSI controller installed at the same time of installing these programs. I don't know if this helps, but I use only one drive and for some reason my system now thinks that I have an AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI Cdrom drive in addition. Very confused as that wasn't there before??

    Thanks
     
  4. Jizmak

    Jizmak Regular member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Messages:
    2,584
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    46
    Good call. Alcohol installs AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI as there virtual driver,
    try removing alcohol or disabling the virtual drives (if you want to).




     
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  5. GC2

    GC2 Guest

    I've tried disabling...didn't work. I'll give remove Alcolhol and see from there. Hopefully that will work. I've also just noticed that all my VTS files are showing as NERO Showtime files. Again, I don't know if that is an indication to what is casuing the error.

    Anyway, thanks so far.
     
  6. Jizmak

    Jizmak Regular member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Messages:
    2,584
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    46
    Alochol and the extra drive are NOT your problem.
    The video show up as Nero files because nero is the program,
    associated with them under windows.
    ((Its not the problem either.))

    Unless your using the same media from day one,
    The error is beacuse it doesnt recognize the media.
    Thats why i said you should update your firmware,
    And It will more than likely fix your problem.

    Did you try this?


     
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  7. GC2

    GC2 Guest

    I removed Alcohol and then read your further reply.

    I've always used the same media, which is why I don't understand the error message and thought it might be the installations I've performed.

    Anyway the problem still exists.
     
  8. Jizmak

    Jizmak Regular member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Messages:
    2,584
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    46
    Post the entire log

    A good look may turn up something.

     
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  9. Car.Mike

    Car.Mike Active member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2004
    Messages:
    3,787
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    66
    GC2 ,
    That error message you got means the burner does not recog that blank media in the burner. What is the blank media you are using?
    Alot of the companies use different manuf of the blank media and this is why Jizmak asked for the log. Most logs list the real manuf of the disk. You can use DVDDecrypter to identify who the real Manuf is of the blank media by going to Mode> Iso > Write> on the right hand side there is information about the blank DVD.

    I posted for you what to look for as below will tell us what blank media you are using. The Disc ID: MCC-004-00 tells us that I am using Verbatim blank DVD's

    **********************
    Physical Format Information (ADIP):
    Disc ID: MCC-004-00
    Book Type: DVD+R
     
  10. GC2

    GC2 Guest

    When you say log. Do you mean the decrypter log? If you did, I just tried to get you a log and the drive won't play any DVD. It opens, it closes, the led comes on for a few seconds then nothing? If you mean another log elsewhere please advise.
     
  11. Car.Mike

    Car.Mike Active member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2004
    Messages:
    3,787
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    66
    GC2,
    You might have missed my reply as you were probably posting. What is the brand name of the blank media you are using?
     
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  12. GC2

    GC2 Guest

    Car.Mike,
    It doesn't see the DVD at all. Unable to locate the info you need as I get the "Device not ready (Incompatible Medium Installed)" message. The brand of the blanks is "Datawrite" and I think they are CMC-Mag. I've used loads of the before and never really had a problem. The drive doesn't recognise originals either.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2006
  13. Car.Mike

    Car.Mike Active member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2004
    Messages:
    3,787
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    66
    GC2
    The Datawrite's have a 25% chance they are Verbatim but the other 75% brands are CMC and Prodisc which are lower quality blank media. If your Drive does not see the original DVD Movie then go into Device Manager and uninstall ( by right Clicking ) on the Secondary IDE Channel ( make sure it is the burner). Then re-boot the computer and let Windows reinstall the Burner properly. I'll check this thread tomorrow morning as it is late where I am at.
     
  14. GC2

    GC2 Guest

    Ok. Mike. It's late here too, nearly 4am. Appreciate everything you and Jizmak ahve done so far! quick question before you go, will this effect any firmware updates I've performed in the past?

    Cheers buddy.
     
  15. Car.Mike

    Car.Mike Active member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2004
    Messages:
    3,787
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    66
    GC2
    No and you need to go to bed also
     
  16. GC2

    GC2 Guest

    New baby..he'll probably keep me awake anyway. Speak with you tomorrow.
     
  17. Car.Mike

    Car.Mike Active member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2004
    Messages:
    3,787
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    66
    GC2,
    Did not know if you had a chance to uninstall the secondary IDE Channel yet as the baby takes precedence?
     
  18. GC2

    GC2 Guest

    Hi,

    Yes. I followed your instructions, but to no avail. I'm sure you can tell from my responses that I'm no tech-support bod'. So please bare with my ignorance. What does the secondary IDE channel cover? As the only drives I have are a multi-card reader incl. floppy and the burner. When ripping I normally do this to HDD 1st. I've also noticed that on reboot the following NEW message comes up:

    Verifying DMI Pool Data....
    Boot from cd:
    This may have nothing whatsoever relate to this problem, but I thought I'd mention it.
     
  19. Car.Mike

    Car.Mike Active member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2004
    Messages:
    3,787
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    66
    GC2,
    The DMI pool data is when The BIOS verifies the data it sends to the operating system (Windows, etc.)

    Boot from cd: This can be changed in the Bios to boot from HD first then boot from CD second. Find a friend that knows how to change the Bios in the computer and have them check to make sure the computer boots up first to HD and then to CD. When you uninstalled the Sec IDE Channel this had no effect on the bootup order.

    If you are out today I would like you to purchase a different brand of DVD. In the US the Office Depot store usually carry Maxell's. Buy the smallest amount of DVD's as you can get. Also I think BestBuy and Circuit City might also have them. We need because of the original message you got a brand of Media that usually does not change manuf.

    On my system the Secondary IDE controls 1 DVD-Rom(slave) and the other Secondary IDE channel covers the burner(master)
     
  20. GC2

    GC2 Guest

    Sure, I'll get some new blanks and give that a go. But that doesn't explain why it won't see original movies, bland cd-r's or anything else.

    As for the BIOS, I had a local company that built the system for me and put a password on it, so I can't get into that at the moment.
     

Share This Page