1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Device Not Ready (Incompatible Medium Installed)?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by GC2, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

GC2,
    Do you have A DVD burner cleaning disk. Give that a go as the burner's lens might be blocked. That also can cause the error. I'll check back after Church

2. GC2

GC2 Guest

Hope Church went well. I don't have a cleaning disc and are unable to get one before tomorrow as I live on a little island and everything pretty much shuts on Sundays.

Further info.:

Created another windows user account and was able to watch an original DVD and also burn an iso from the HDD using decrypter. So the drive is not the problem. It must be some sort of setting that has changed.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2006
  3. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

GC2,
    I have never heard of that but if it works stay in the new user account. I would now delete the old account as that is the one that gave you the problems. I tried looking in User Accounts to see if you could restrict access to the programs. I know there is a way and the only way that makes sense if you or someone else somehow changed the systemwide setting to restrict that user. Does anyone else play on that computer??

4. GC2

GC2 Guest

No, I am the only user. As regards the settings I haven't changed anything knowingly. Normally anything/setting I don't understand I leave well alone (just incase something like this occurs). I can only think that my recent installations have caused a problem.

5. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

I would do a 'system restore' to a point before you installed
    all the extra programs,
    And only install what you need at the moment.

good luck

6. GC2

GC2 Guest

I've attempted a system restore and nothing happening. Even though it is enabled and there are restore points, upon retart I get a message stating that it was unable to restore to that point. Tried it in safe mode also and exactly the same result. I tend to agree though on only keeping what I need. I was only looking for new and more efficient processes at the same time trying to expand my limited knowledge.

Something interesting though, after I created the new user in windows the drive was able to see the blanks and originals. I then started thinking about how to transfer my docs over to the new user (OVER 100Gb). I thought just for the hell of it I'd put a blank in the drive under the old user and......it saw the disk?? Weird! I would still love to know what caused the problem though. But I'm happy it appears to be sorted.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2006
  7. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

GC2 ,
    Since your system was built locally ask them what the heck is going on. It might be something real simple but at least now the computer can see the disks