Digicam to DVD - what quality ?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by ricster, Dec 15, 2003.

1. ricster

ricster Regular member

Trying to put some camcorder footage onto DVD for the first time. I'm using a firewire connection from my Sony PC101 and Nero VisionExpress. Picture looks fantastic in Nero capture mode. Questions:

Should I capture in MPEG2 ? If so, is the predefined 'High' quality (about 60 mins on a DVD) going to look OK ?

Should I use a higher custom setting ?

I captured a few seconds footage as a test but when I replayed the resulting .mpg it was not great (not like a regular DVD anyway). Am I expecting too much ?

Thanks.

2. ReeL12

ReeL12 Guest

Don't know about this Nero software but usyally mpg extensions mean that file is MPEG1 format = bad quality.
    I capture files as AVI and use different software to encode them to Mpeg2. One can find guides how to do this from Afterdawn.com DVD-R guides section.

3. ricster

ricster Regular member

It is definitely MPEG2. I did some more experimenting. If I capture in MPEG2 the results show some horizontal lines around the edges. If I capture in AVI, then convert to MPEG2 (which takes ages) the lines are not there. All this is with Nero. I may try something else now.