DigiCamcorders: JVC-DX75US vs. Canon ZR65MC

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by anthonyjd, Nov 17, 2003.

1. anthonyjd

anthonyjd Guest

2. paulzac

paulzac Member

Definitely the Canon ZR65MC. I bought the JVC DX75 because I got a better deal on it, but have been rueing the day since.

The only thing against the ZR65MC you see in reviews is its lack of performance under low-light, I can tell you that the JVC DX75 is completely useless in low-light conditions - and quite grainy indoors at night under household lighting. The so-called "night mode" is completely unusable - the picture appears brighter in patches and strobes quite a bit.

The Canon ZR65MC has better button locations, is only slightly bigger, better selection of additional batteries you can buy inlcuding third-party, better zoom and most importantly, has a hot-shoe to add accessories like video light etc. which the JVC DX75 lacks.

3. paulzac

paulzac Member

But better than both I believe is the Sony TRV 22E - has everything that the JVC DX75 and Canon ZR65MC have, plus solid construction and feel, far superior low-light performance, colour viewfinder. OK, it has less zoom than both the JVC and Canon, but realistically 10X that it has is more than sufficient for most people - in any case you can add on a 2X zoom later on which will give you 20X.

Believe me, you *WILL* be needing the better low-light performance.

4. anthonyjd

anthonyjd Guest

I was going to go with the Canon ZR70MC but ultimately decided upon the JVC GR-D90US. I read a lot of reviews about all these models and it seems this one came out the best. And for the price I got it at and package deal it came with, I couldn't find a better deal. Plus the reviews seemed good with this model. I will try it out and see how it works. If this one turns out to be horrible, I will be picking up the ZR70MC.

5. anthonyjd

anthonyjd Guest

Whoops....I purchased the GR-D31u from QVC. I thought it was the GR-D90.

I am not real satisfied with it at all. I love the feel, LCD size, and zoom but the still quality is horrible. Completely unacceptable. So I am going to send this one back next week.

I was trying to decide upon the Canon ZR-70MC and JVC GR-D90 and my father mentioned to me the Canon DV Optura 20. It has a 1.33 MP CCD which will be great for pictures!

Oh I can't decide...someone please help me.

6. paulzac

paulzac Member

Well if you're looking for a camcorder which can take decent stills too, both the Canon ZR-70MC and JVC GR-D90 are out, they just aren't designed to take decent stills, can't blame them since a video cam requires far lower resolution than a still camera.

Even the Canon DV Optura 20's 1.33 MP CCD is going to give you stills just good enough for sharing through email, and barely enough to make small prints.

7. Imacer

Imacer Member

Do you use the VL-10LI (Light) tell me what you think? I have one not very bright at all.

8. Rashomon

Rashomon Member

Hey, Paulzac, when you talk about decent stills, ¿what do you mean? I am deciding between those two cams and you are making me doubt... is there any other good cam at the same price level (important factor in my decision!) which takes better stills?