1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct Boot Any PS2 From Any Mem Card!

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by comminup, May 20, 2008.

1. comminup

comminup Regular member

This was posted by bootlegninja over at sksapps.com

Tut along with files needed to install hack also by bootlegninja here: http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/freeosd/

2. HG27

HG27 Guest

Awesome!

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2008
  3. delkims

delkims Regular member

Maybe a stupid ? but does this hack basically put my swap magic disk onto the memory card???

thanks

4. Rebootedc

Rebootedc Member

Yes! I mean... No! I mean... It's a way to start swapmagic or any other booter w/o CD. This is great news to my brother in law, who recently got his laser burnt.

5. Rpg4ever

Rpg4ever Member

All you need is this .elf file called Free MC Boot v1.2c

Launch the Free MC Boot v1.2c.elf from a USB stick, or from your memcard,
    and your good to go.

This is the besy way to save your ps2 laser len, and play .Avi video's using SMS Player and games from the hard drive/using HDLoader.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QIGMTJ5N
    if the above link is removed, pm me for the link if needed.

swap magic & modchip are now useless compared to MC direct boot.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  6. 6ixtynin9

6ixtynin9 Guest

I've manage to install 1.0 OSD MC Boot on my memory card. It works and requires both flash drive and PS2 memory card to boot into uLaunch. I was wondering if there's a way to install everything onto the memory card so I can eliminate the use of the flash drive, to boot up uLaunch? Any response to this question is appreciated.

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

comminup - please remove that link from your signature.

8. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

I dont get it. What's the difference between this and the normal MC exploit everyone uses?

9. Rebootedc

Rebootedc Member

I'm surely doing something wrong, but my fat PS2 isn't booting the FREE_MCBOOT_1_4.ELF properly moved to a /BOOT folder and renamed to BOOT.ELF

I've read lots of guides, but they imply formatting the Memcard or they overpass lots of procedures that may seem too obvious for the ones that wrote them, but I simply get lost. :(

10. DSHIZNIT

DSHIZNIT Member

To get Free MC Boot v1.4 (FMCB) on to your MC and make it work, this is how: ***TRIGGER DISC IS NO LONGER NEEDED ONCE THIS IS DONE***

1st: You should use a SONY card. (the program will delete everything on the MC in slot 1, so BACK IT UP)
    2nd you need a flash drive with a WORKING mc boot folder on it and the FMBC V4,
    then in that folder there is a file called boot.elf. Place the file you want to boot into that folder, delete the original boot.elf and change the name of the one you want to boot to boot.elf;
    example: Ulelaunch.elf=boot.elf
    3rd: Plug your flash card into the USB port on the PS2 Using your old MC exploit, browse to the mass folder from the PS2. click on the FMCB 1.4, the program will start the install, DO NOT REMOVE THE FLASH CARD.
    4th remove any discs in the PS2 and restart it. (It should load back to the MC configuration. Now browse back to the MASS (USB)
    and copy the BOOT.ELF, browse back to Mc0 and delete the BOOT.ELF that's already there and paste your BOOT.ElF in.
    Now configure it. Remove the Flash drive from the USB, it is no longer needed
    ***NOTE*** You can use ANY elf renamed to Boot.elf.
    ***NOTE2 This works on PS2 SLIMs too

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  11. Rebootedc

Rebootedc Member

Thanks for the reply!
    But anyway I managed to make it work at last. Here's how I did it.

1. Prepared material:
    * 1 Usb stick with tons of utilities, ulanch, mcboot, ps2reality, hdadvance, etc...
    * 1 Memory card (With saved games!)

2. Prepared a boot disk. I downloaded "uLaunch Package - ZangetsuZero", a boot disk with everything you need. It boots directly on a uLaunch.

3. Booted the PS2 with the ZangetsuZero's boot disk and with the memcard and USB stick plugged.

4. Once booted the uLaunch, I backed up all my saved games from the MemCard to the USB stick (using copy & mcPaste)

5. Once backed up, I launched McBoot from the UsbStick.

6. Once launched the McBoot I formatted the MemCard (I found that the exploit only worked for me if I installed the McBoot on a freshly formatted MemCard).

7. Once formatted, I installed the exploit on the freshly formatted MemCard.

8. Then I exited the McBoot, so the Ps2 powered off.

Okay. Now the exploit is installed on the memcard, but it won't boot anyting on the usb stick until a /BOOT folder is created, and a BOOT.ELF is copied there. So

9. I copied uLaunch.elf on a newly created USB stick's /BOOT folder and renamed the uLaunch to BOOT.ELF. I also copied other ELFs there, like the PS2Reality (and renamed as BOOT1.ELF) and another version of uLaunch, just in case (and renamed too as BOOT2.ELF). I had to do these copy&renames with my PC since the uLaunch doesn't permit me to rename files.

Then I realized that my freakin' PS2 doesn't boot directly to the uLaunch. Not until I don't insert a valid CD/DVD. Maybe it's because my chip (a Messiah). Anyway...

10. I booted my PS2 with a DVD inserted, with the Memcard and with the stick plugged in. I noticed that the typical greeting sound and animation is no longer showed (unless I booted without the MemCard inserted)

11. The uLaunch is finally launched (Yay!!) so I copied back all my saved game files back to the MemCard (with copy & mcPaste). Later I tested that those saved games worked (whew!).

12. Now if I press in the (now unexistant) boot sequence the R1, R2, L1 or L2 it boots the others BOOTx.ELF (where x is 1, 2, 3 or 4)

13. If I'm in the uLaunch and want to play a DVD game, I just enter into the "cdfs:" drive and then execute the SLASxxxx.xxx (where xxxx.xxx is a series of numbers), and voilá!

But then, I tried to boot my bother in law's Ps2, which laser is burnt, and I realized that it didn't need a DVD loaded for the exploit to launch the BOOT.ELF in the USB stick. Bizarre, isn't it?

Now I'm in the process of learning how to create USBAdvance compatible images and try to launch them from a USB harddrive.

12. Rebootedc

Rebootedc Member

I haven't tested the exploit without the USB stick (just copying the BOOT.ELF to the MemCard). I'll test it this afternoon.

13. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

K I also had to format my memory card before this would work.

Mine seems to load ulaunch even without the usb drive attached and yet the thing states you should have both attached, so not sure whats doing on there.

So how do we add our own elfs to the memory card?

I only have File Browser and Configure in the ulaunch options. However if I open the broweser there is a MISC folder, in that there is an elf called Free Hd Loader 3.6.2. It works but is this loader better than hdloader0.8C?

Also why has this exploit taken so much space, 2.3MB?

Also if I place this memory card into a differnt ps2 will the exploit still work or do you have to make a new one for another ps2?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  14. Rebootedc

Rebootedc Member

The later versions copy a proper BOOT.ELF in the MemCard. Or so it says, 'cause my ps2 is one of those that gives so many problems, and it has lots of trouble in installing everything right.

About the big size, in the readme it says something about the dvd driver.

Booting with uLaunch and then copy&pasting into de MemCard.

It works!! :D
    That's what I tested on my brother in law's unmodded PS2. ;)

15. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

K thanks for the quick reply.

One more questions. is the exploit comminup posted in the first post the same thing as Free MC Boot v1.2c? Or do they work in different ways?

Ive added cogswap to my mc, it loads and when i put an original ps2 game in it shows the gold disk but i cannot get it to work after pressing X, the purple disk doesnt come up???

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  16. Rebootedc

Rebootedc Member

I finally installed a BOOT.ELF on the mc0:/BOOT folder, and now I don't need to have the USB stick plugged. ;)

I still have the problem that my Messiah modded PS2 needs something valid inserted on the DVD drive for the BOOT.ELF to be launched. It's quite an annoyance.

@bigo93
    Well... I didn't use Free MC Boot v1.2c. I used v1.4 instead. I suppose it works too.

I didn't use cogswap or codebreaker, so I'm no help there. :(

Now I'm in the process of learning how to run games from a USB drive. What kind of images does the USBAdvance need and how to create them.

17. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

You don't need cogswap to run backups, just use ffgrievers new ESR Beta 7a.elf to run backups.

You just need to patch your ISO's with mementos disc patcher found on their website. Just download the 1.2e firmware, and its in the same folder.

I run DVD9 games now backed up and patched with memento and the DL patcher, using ule 4.12 plus , with disc control set to on.

18. Rebootedc

Rebootedc Member

Ok. That's it. I finally dumped an ISO to a USB stick with USBExtreme utilities and the game Disgaea worked flawlessly. Now my next step is to plug in a USB Hard Drive and test which games work and which ones don't.

19. a5m5a5

a5m5a5 Guest

Hi Rebootedc,

So you booted the PS2 directly from the ZangetsuZero's boot disk, did you use swap magic? if no how did you burn the image? I tried burning the image with Decryptor with no luck.

thanks for your reply.

20. Rebootedc

Rebootedc Member

Hi a5m5a5.
    First of all I burnt ZangetsuZero's boot disk directly with nero on a DVD. Then I booted my (modded) PS2 with it. Then I installed the exploit on the memcard. And afterwards I plugged that exploited memcard into my brother in law's (non-modded) PS2. And voilá! It worked!

But I needed, in first place, a modded PS2 to boot the ZangetsuZero Boot disk so I could install the exploit.

If you can't get any (a friend of yours', a relative's, whoever's) modded PS2 to run the ZZ boot disk, you should use a original copy of SwapMagic to run it. But I don't know how SwapMagic works :(