"dirty or damaged" problem

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by quinman22, Nov 18, 2007.

1. quinman22

quinman22 Member

So a while back I ripped one of my games to my xbox as a backup, then ftped it to my pc because it has more storage space. Now, my neice completely ruined the original game, so I needed to get my backup working. I don't have a dvd burner, so I just ftped it back to the xbox, but when I tried to play it, it said the whole disc is damaged or dirty business, so now I have no game. Why do you think it would give me this error?

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

3. quinman22

quinman22 Member

Yup I tried it with a different game and everything worked, so it must have been a bad backup. I'll look at the web for a dvd burner, they're probably almost disposable these days.:)

4. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Since you legally own a copy of the game with a bad backup, you can legally download a copy of the game via torrents. I am not allowed to say any more due to forum rules.

5. corn

corn Guest

Also try burning slower, and using better media. How fast were you burning, anyways? I only burn at x4.

6. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I don't think he burned it to a DVD, I think it was a DVD Image on the Xbox.

7. varnull

varnull Guest

Possibly needs patching?? That's the usual reason for a DDE on an ftp game.

If you want to do a lot of xbox stuff you NEED a dvd burner.. I'd recommend an NEC 3550b as they seem to last forever and make burns the xbox drives like.. but probably any modern burner will do, with a few reservations about the really new super high speed ones..reputable brand not "whatever made in taiwan". People say the burner has no effect, but I have never managed to make a working xbox backup disk with an asus1608? burner (rebranded pioneer 109.. same problem)

google for cloneXB and make an iso with it ..then you can either burn nice and slow to dvd-r (for the price of a blank it's worth a go) or attack the iso with extractxiso to get back to a (now patched) set of files and ftp again.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2007
  8. philzone

philzone Regular member

"dirty or damaged disk" is ironic... when playing from files on the hdd

9. quinman22

quinman22 Member

It is pretty ironic. The backup was the problem. I recently got a dvd burner and put it on a dvd and it still didn't work so I made a new backup and it worked fine. The process might have been interupted or something. Thanks for all of the help!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008