1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

disc type

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by newkid999, Aug 15, 2005.

1. JoshLogan

JoshLogan Guest

eh, a lot of you don't seem to know much about the other consoles. MOST gmaes for ps2 are between 3 and 4.7 gigs. they definitely do use all of their space on many, many games. also DVD-5 discs are the same thing as 4.7 discs. That is just the exact size of them, but they are called DVD-5. There are also a handful of ps2 games that are dual layered:
    Xenosaga Episode 1: Der Wille zur Macht
    The Guy Game
    God of War
    Sakura Taisen Atsuki Chishio Ni
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
    Kessen 3
    Champions Of Norrath: Realms Of EverQuest
    Madden NFL 2005: Collector's Edition
    Gran Turismo 4

The new consoles will be making use of high-definition video. This is where the blu-ray discs will come in handy. Game developers will no longer have to juggle around with making sure everything fits. They will have plenty of room to do whatever they want.

2. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

Everything will probably have to be backed up on a HD when the PS3 comes out... That's if there is even HD support External or internal (More than likely External)

3. Solaray

Solaray Guest

No the pointless space of Blueray wont have any effect on HDTV,
    and if the Hard Drive is used during gameplay it will ONLY slow the games down!

HDTV will probably take off 30% of the consoles full potential, yea the screen will look sharp but the polygon count will go down! And it will use more memory.

Thing is, even if you had unlimited space for your games you would still have to keep all the textures as low as possible and make good use of compression and duplicate textures TO HELP WITH TRANSFER SPEEDS WHEN LOADING UP! Thats why i think Blueray is pointless.

Most developers on the PS1 and PS2 dont spend enougth time compressing their data to the maximum because they have plenty of space and their games will inleast sell! but then you get more LOADING.............PLEASE WAIT!

Zelda on the N64 was only 16MB, They probably spend more time compressing the mesh and textures then making the gamelayout! but thats due to memory being expensive!!!

Instead of blueray i would have invested in a um,,,,double sided double reading DVD drive! with twice the transfer speed of a 16X DVD drive

4. zeldaman

zeldaman Guest

if the point about the 4.7 is the same as dvd-5 was directed at me, then yes I know that... my point was that the discs made for the xbox and ps2 were not 4.7gb discs or dvd-5 for that matter, they were dvd-9 dual layer discs holding 8.5gb... that is what I said lol... the dvd-5 discs are just consumer discs cheaper versons, because dual layer discs would be too expensive to release, and they are as you can see by the price of them... they have however come down quite a bit... and there are only a few games out there that actually exceed the 4.7gb range, games like GT4 and a few others I cannot think of because my memory is shot lol... plus I just worked all night and just got home.. and I really don't want to think lmao...

5. JoshLogan

JoshLogan Guest

No, not all ps2 games use dvd-9 discs. All ps2 games are pressed, whereas a consumer can only burn. That's the difference. I'm pretty sure it's the same for xbox. Why would they spend any extra money on dual-layer discs if they aren't using them? They only bother to do that when the games are going to use the extra space. The developers decide that. Oh, and when ps2 first launched (and a few still nowadays) some games were still on CDs. Only some games are dvd-9. I already listed them, but here:
    Xenosaga Episode 1: Der Wille zur Macht
    The Guy Game
    God of War
    Sakura Taisen Atsuki Chishio Ni
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
    Kessen 3
    Champions Of Norrath: Realms Of EverQuest
    Madden NFL 2005: Collector's Edition
    Gran Turismo 4

6. Solaray

Solaray Guest

Ok OK!!!but still! this Blue Ray can exceed to 25GB,50GB,100GB and maby even more (according to someone in a form)!

Im very curious about the BlueRays transfer speed. i think with too much space some developers will just throw any old BS on there. Isnt it costing Sony a bit of money to have their next console play BlueRay and DVD's?

7. JoshLogan

JoshLogan Guest

only at first, and probably mainly because of the new laser.

8. Solaray

Solaray Guest

The transfer speed wont exceed Much beyon DVD's 16X and 20X (very rare).
    I did some research!
    But to start with A 1X BlueRay is the speed of a 3X DVD,
    Its likely that sony will have a 2X BlueRAy reader (new technology is expensive), so thats the speed of a 6X DVD drive, and remember the XBOX1
    has a 5X DVD drive!

9. JoshLogan

JoshLogan Guest

I dunno about reading speed, but that doesn't seem right if this is what the writing speeds will be like.

http://www.digital-digest.com/highdefdvd/faq.html#faq309

"The BD specification calls for the recordable function to be available in most hardware. The initial recording speed will only be 1x (for the BD 1.0 specification), at 36 Mbps, which is actually equal to about 28x in DVD transfer terms. By the time of the commercial launch of the BD recordable formats, 2x or higher speeds may be possible."

10. Skilit

Skilit Member

OMG you moron it will fit both Regular 6 inch and 3 inch discs. Its just like your computers disc tray it has a big grove for big discs and a samll grove.... you get the point? It says it on walmarts website. lol.. just go there it even talks about the Nintendo Micro, PS3, 360, and zee revolution ... capiesh?

11. Skilit

Skilit Member

Yeah they are going to use those big discs...

12. newkid999

newkid999 Member

wow u guys take your discs seriously!