1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion thread for Wii Modchips

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Kafluke, Jan 29, 2007.

1. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

Ya I would agree with that! I would prefer to have a chip soldered in then having a clip. I've had both a soldered chip and the Wii-Clip, and I never had problems with either of them.

But if you want to be safe with the Wii-Clip, I put a piece of electrical tape on top of it, then put the cover over that.

2. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

You guys. Who else is going to tell you if the clip on is reliable or not your local librarian? Of course they are the most reliable source. Installers have enough work to keep up with. I have had 3 tell me that.

3. wiiguide

wiiguide Member

Hey Everyone,

We have just added a solderless wii modchip guide to our wiikeyguide.com site.

The guide gives you a basic breakdown of which Wii solderless mod chip is used on what model and if that chip will be right for your machine. We tried to add as much info to the page as possible so people will know which chips to use in their machine.

So far these solderless solutions have been working really well for people, we have only heard a few reports where people have bent the pins on installation, and this was only a few. There are a lot of videos on Youtube on how to install these little chips, so it's really never been this easy to mod your wii.

Hope the guide is useful for some of you out there.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  4. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

I'm glad the guide you took credit for really really works for people. What does it do for a Wii though?

5. PsyKid

PsyKid Member

I currently run a Wiikey 1.9s on an NTSC-U 3.3 Wii and have been using it to play a DL burned copy of Brawl. Just today, while switching from a VC channel to my disc channel with the Minus button, I immediatly hit "Start", and my Wii froze. I unplugged it and tried to play my burned copy of Brawl, but it won't work at all. I've even tried the following Wiikey recovery steps I got from this board and those do not work either.

Start with wii turned off.
    Power on wii.
    hit a to go past safety screen
    eject any disc in the drive
    put in recovery disc
    at this point no GC icon should appear and the disc should not read (apart from some disc loading sounds)
    press reset on the wii (do not turn it on and off, just hit reset)
    go past the safety screen*****
    at this point the recovery disc should still be in the drive, not reading (or seems like its not.)
    wait 5-7 minutes, i waited 6
    TURN THE WII OFF, WAIT A FEW SECODNS FOR THE YELLOW LIGHT, TURN IT BACK ON
    go past the safety screen
    there should be no GC logo in the disc channel
    eject the recovery disc and put in the wiikey 1.9g update disc
    The GC logo should appear for this, if not try again.
    Update to 1.9g (i used the 1.9g filechopped update available on the wiikey resources stick thread)
    Once that is complete, upgate to 1.9s
    Send some positive feedback to the wiikey team (via their website) for being so badass
    You are now ready to get back to playing SSBB

The item marked with ***** did not happen. I reset the Wii and the Safety screen did not pop up, it went directly back to the menu. Can anyone help? Thanks.

6. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

Sounds like Wiikey sucks lately. Get a D2Pro and things are a little better. I'm enjoying the homebrew and wads galore. Only issue I ran into today was running donkey konga 2 (PAL). Seems there isn't a region switch for GC games at this point unless someone knows of one.

7. PsyKid

PsyKid Member

That would require unsoldering my Wiikey, something I don't want to risk.

8. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

There is a clip on ver now though. Unfort they can pop off and cause issues. If you are at the point where your complaining in a forum that blank doesn't work then spend the $140 and get it done.

9. PsyKid

PsyKid Member

You still completely missed my point. I would have to unsolder and remove my Wiikey in order to install a new modchip, and I do not want to do this, nor so I want to shell out $140 for a different one.

Quit advertising for them and offer some real advice.

10. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

Hey jackass show me who I'm advertising for. Statements like that will not get you assistance in this forum noob.

11. PsyKid

PsyKid Member

The D2Pro. I have no interest in buying one; I simply require assistance with my Wiikey. If you have no useful advice for me, then just don't post. Saying to go buy another chip for $140 is not useful advice.

There is also no need for childish name calling.

12. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

Bud you accused me of advertising. That would probably set many off too. It's cool now. Enjoy your wii.

13. PsyKid

PsyKid Member

So if anyone has any actual advice from the problem I posted on the previous page, I would greatly appreciate it. I've reburned the 1.9b Wiikey recovery disk and that too did not work. I might take the Wii apart and inspect the solder joints to make sure one of them did not come loose or anything. It's odd though as it was loading the game immediatly before it froze. It only stopped working after I unplugged the system. I had no choice as it would not turn off otherwise.

14. tonowhere

tonowhere Member

Got my thread closed so I'll paste the questions here:

Hi! I just got a wii and I need to get it chipped before wii sports melts my brain.
    I've been reading and reading about D2Pro vs Wasabi (these are the best chips, right?) but I keep finding contradictions. Some say D2Pro has the best support and that Wasabi doesn't seem to care about their costumers, others say exactly the opposite! Some say wasabi is more stable, others say its a lot less stable!

Uff~

So bottom line,
    1- please tell me which is better? D2Pro 9 or Wasabi V3?
    To my knowledge both chips are now functional with any wii, correct?
    2- I'm also reading a lot of peeps here went with argon? Is it any good?
    3- Half the titles I'm like are from gamecube, so it'd be nice to know if any of the chip have a hard time with them.
    4- I heard that the D2Pro with 9 cables has had some issues, is it true? Would it be better to get one with more cables? I'm getting a wiiclip so its all the same to me as long as it support my model.
    5- I also heard that D2Pro makes the lense read the cd twice because it has to decode it or something while wasabi does it directly so it doesn't wear it off as fast; is that true?

15. mismar

mismar Member

1. wasabi v3 is better imo. d2pro9 v2/v3 seems to have some disc eject issues on a few wiis.

2. argon was okay before the wasabi chip hit the scene. after that, argon is just inferior to all other chip out there.

3. all of them should work fine for gamecube games by now

4.d2pro only comes with 9 wires now. i dont think they have 15 wire version anymore, and if they do, its hard to find.

5. not too sure about that, but i think theres a utility disc that sets the reading speed for the d2pro9. again, i'm not too sure. i have the utility disc but haven't messed around with it.

also, theres another chip out there thats pretty promising, the wiizard chip. heard its made by the same team as the wiinja.

16. anlif

anlif Member

Wii newb here (but old pro at xbox hacking)

So I've opened my Wii and confirmed that I have a D2C2. I've decided to go with the D2Pro9 V3 with Wii Clip v4c (confirmed to be DVD upgradeable but/and comes with flat cable).

So, my question is this: If I'm using a Wii Clip, will I still be able to upgrade the D2Pro9 (v3) via a DVD update?

Update 2008-08-18: I ordered and received a D2Pro9 v3 (pre-soldered) on a Wii-Clip v4c. I tried the install and it seemed to be seated correctly but it's not working; the DVD drive motor starts and stops constantly, the red light on the D2Pro9 stays solidly lit. The good news is that the Wii-clip comes off easily enough (which makes me believe it might not be seated correctly; all the youtube videos seemed to indicate it would be hard to pry off and had to be done carefully with each corner in sequence). I pressed on this thing HARD to install it so I don't think I installed it incorrectly.

Anyway, I'm now going to bite the bullet and get a professional to solder the D2Pro9 (v3) directly to the chip.

Long story short: My newbie experience with the Wii-clip was not successful and I'm now going the direct soldering route.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  17. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

Of course. Only difference is that it's not soldered. The connections are the same. I would get it soldered if I were you. It's not worth frying your Wii if it pops off.

18. H08

H08 Guest

hey guys, i just wanted to know what was the best wii-modclip out to date and were could i get it.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  19. tonowhere

tonowhere Member

question! I have a GC2-D2C with uncut legs. I'm getting a D2Pro. Thing is, I heard its better to get a V2 for this model because some V3 seem to be incompatible? I'm ordering from modchipcentral but I don't think they handle V2... I haven't really -seen- any resellers with V2 :/

Also, I was thinking of getting a wiiclip to avoid any hassle. I've heard mostly nothing but good reviews about it. So its safe?

20. tedpet

tedpet Guest

I am thinking about buying the wii key modchip.I don't know how to tell if my wii has cut pins.Can anyone tell me how to find out?