1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion thread for Wii Modchips

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Kafluke, Jan 29, 2007.

1. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

If it's a fairly recent Wii you have to get the D2C chip like D2Pro. Sounds like Wii Key is not doing the job lately anyway.

2. phaez1

phaez1 Member

Having issues here :(
    I recently installed my d2pro with wii clip in my d2c wii. so far i have burned mario super sluggers, mlb power pros 2008, and rayman 2. rayman works flawlessly, mario super sluggers would start to play and then go to a black screen saying unable to read disc and now it won't play at all (just goes to the unable to read disc screen with the ?), and power pros goes straight to the unable to read disc screen with the ?. i've checked the clip to make sure it's snapped in good and everything is tight and the protective sticker and cardboard cutout are on to prevent shorts. any ideas on what could be wrong? i tried all 3 games one after another and only rayman would play.
    i can get the utility disc to read as well and have both of the backup settings to 3x. Tried on 6x and it wouldn't play any of them. Also i'm using memorex dvd+r if that makes a difference.
    any help would be appreciated

3. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

I have a d2pro as well. The backups are hit or miss. The only game I have not been able to run is Super smash brothers brawl (SSBB). Seems nobody has put a US version out there that works as it's a DVD-9 game. I would try others if I were you and see. The site I have been getting these from are thepiratebay. Those seem to all work for me so far. Other ISO searchers you are on your own.

4. phaez1

phaez1 Member

same with the hit or miss. rayman 2 i can play most of it but goes black and says cannot read disc when i try to play mini games and i was able to get csi to load but havn't played it much to see how it works and super paper mario, mlb power pros, and some others will load but once it starts it goes to the DRE screen. all of mine are backups i have made myself, no downloads yet.

5. ADNUP

ADNUP Member

Hi all - I plan on getting a D2Pro9 V2 / V3 Bundle from modchip central. My noobie question is How do I know which chip set I have? I bought the Wii the day it came out in the US. TIA

6. ADNUP

ADNUP Member

Well it looks like I have a GC2-DMS, according to <a href="http://wiitracker.nintendo-scene.com/search.php">THIS</a> web site.

Do you guys think I should order without opening first?

7. ADNUP

ADNUP Member

Well thanks for the quick replies[​IMG] But WOW fast shipping and quick install. All is working great..

8. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

FYI for those of you wanting to buy a LG or Sony drive to backup the wii ISO's. It's easy to do so via your wireless internet. I tried it last night and it worked like a charm. Only issue is the package for the HTTP server is incorrect. You place it in your apps folder but eliminate the extra level. Otherwise the HTTP server will not show up in your homebrew channel:

http://www.lupiloop.com/index.php?cat=2&full=1&id=6

Only issue I had was firewall and IE related. They are right it's better to use firefox and your firewall will probably give you problems. So either disable it temporarily or creat an exception for it. If you don't know what I'm talking about and don't understand the backup package instructions don't ask. If you do understand and are having small issues I'll be happy to help. Enjoy.

9. guitarizt

guitarizt Member

I bought a wii a week ago and the serial nintendo scene site said there's a 50% chance my drive chip is GC2-D2C and a 50% chance the pins on my drive aren't cut.

Can't I just get the D2Sun V3.0 w/ Wiiclip V12 + Triwing Screwdriver from modchipcentral or Wasabi 3 KIT D2E Ready from modchip.ca since they work with everything? This way I won't have to spend time opening it up first, and I want to get the screwdriver from the site I get the modchip from as I don't have one small enough now. I'm leaning towards the d2sun because it's cheaper and I like modchipcentral's site better.

I'm wondering why people are getting D2Pro's because I've read in places that you can update the firmware via dvd, but later on for more updates you need the programmer which costs more.

10. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

WTF? Just get the d2pro. I have never had an issue with it other than an occasional eject issue. You just turn the thing off/on and it's fine. Yes some of the firmware is updated via dvd and you need a programmer for others. Even so there is not one game out there that will not work to my knowlege.

11. guitarizt

guitarizt Member

Yeah obla I read a bit more and it looks like the D2Pro is the best. I can still get a thing for it so I won't have to solder as much if at all, it works with everything, and it looks like it's the best bet as far as future compatibility with new games.

12. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

That's correct. Not sure what you are talking about as far as soldering. I would NOT get the clip on. If that sucker gets loose at all it WILL fry your Wii. Get it soldered.

13. guitarizt

guitarizt Member

I haven't read about anyone frying their wii from clipons yet. It seems to be the best way to go as I can get the modchip presoldered to the chip so I just have to clip it onto the board which would save me a ton of time.

14. oblachubs

oblachubs Member

Chances are that's because you didn't speak to the modders like I have. Go ahead and clip it and I hope it works for you.

Also earlier I mentioned the eject issue with the D2Pro. They just released a utility disk 1.6 and I have confirmed it fixed the eject issue. I tried it last night.

15. Karyogram

Karyogram Member

Hello to everyone,

I have A D2B chipset with cut pins, would the d2pro modchip be compatible with it or has anyone heard or had any incompatibilities with that combination. I read somewhere that with my chipset i 'd be better off with the wiikey modchip, is there any truth in that? Many Thanks in advance

16. spyman

spyman Regular member

Hi, for the d2b cut pins the d2pro9 will work well, if youre getting the clip version make sure you get the right one, ie
    http://www.canadamods.ca/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=50
    is done differently than the usual way. So read the titles.

If you have soldering skills though none of the points are on the ic and its very easy to do.

The wiizard works very well also from my personal experience and has slightly faster bootup I think.

If you get a wiikey on the d2b cut leg you will need to rebuild or dremel the ic chipset for it to work, so its better to just get a next gen chip which makes life easy.

17. Caracul

Caracul Member

OK guys and gals - heres a (hopefully) new one. I have two D2C Wii clips and two wii's. The chips work on one, and not on the other (although for about 5 minutes one did). Both Wiis need a D2C modchip (both have that IC in the board) and if anyone wants to double check this, the one that won't accept it has the following serial:

LU54858660[8]

The above Wii was upgraded with the 3.3 firmware before any backups were placed in, and isn't bricked. As I said, one of the backups was running for 5 minutes with no problem at all (Big Brain academy). But then stopped (after I ejected the disc to try another back up, no back ups would work).

The disc only partially spins (~2 secs). The only other difference between the Wiis is that the first (working)one is Pal, and the other one is NTSC - but the back up games being run are from the respective systems (ie PAL - PAL).

Anyone have any ideas to try or suggestions? And if this has been discussed already, I apologise - didn't really know what to search for...

Cheers,
    C

[edit] I think I may have to get out a magnifying glass to check the pins. After going on the wii-chip site, I know for a fact that the chip is a "fake", but Im happy enough with it because it works fine in the other wii. Just wondering whether this would affect an NTSC machine and not a PAL one, because that would explain it?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  18. Karyogram

Karyogram Member

Thanks for the information spyman, appreciate it.

19. davegamer

davegamer Member

Looks like they have released a WiiKey 2 chip, if anyone has got one yet or tried the config disk I would really like to know what options it has.

I wonder if this means the end to updates for wiikey 1 :(

20. alunb

alunb Member

Hi All,

Ive searched and can find no reference to this so i'll post it here....

If i'm doing this in the wrong place i apologise but this is important!!!

I've just opened a brand new PAL wii bought at the weekend and its a D2E chip set but.............3 sides if the chip have been covered completely in a pool of black stuff!!

THE WHOLE CHIP ON 3 SIDES IS COVERED IN SOLID BLACK GOOP!!

NO way to solder it or put clip on!! the stuff is some kind of resin which has set like stone!!!

Just incase any one was planning to mod a new wii check it first!!

Any one else seen this???

I will try to post pictures if i see another one

Thanks

Keeo up the great work

thanks

Al