1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disks don't load after installing Wiikey

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by inapond, May 5, 2007.

1. razvanro

razvanro Member

2. PastorT

PastorT Member

why thank you for that photo, guesse you had to use those three pins off the mobo chip due to destroyed marker traces?

My installations consist of easay solder fill on each of the two larger holes, and wire from the 4 others, takes about 2 minute if Im focused enough.. no aftertouch :)

3. Humor4Fun

Humor4Fun Member

I've got a new issue now. I have the Wiikey installed on a D2B board, and everything works fine except I cannot enter the Wii system options from the main menu area (click the icon in the bottom left, then the rench icon) after i click to enter the system configuration, the opera browser gives me an error page that i can only get away from by resetting the system, or pressing the home button on the wiimote.

has anyone else seen this problem before? or know how to fix it?

i was trying to setup my wifi connection, but i cant get to the system config pages.

4. s1lva16

s1lva16 Member

Your console is semi bricked, search the term in the search engine and you will know how to fix it/ what it is

5. Humor4Fun

Humor4Fun Member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@Humor4Fun

The information on the thread that you linked to originally came from this forum...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/523776

you should edit your post adding the correct link above (linked to AfterDawn) instead of sending others away from the forum that originally had the information posted.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Humor4Fun, post edited

8. ice109

ice109 Member

so i have a weird problem. i installed an authentic wiikey and everything seemed fine. i booted zelda original and was playing for a while. turned off console and now it doesn't play originals but it does play the wii setup disk. i tried changing settings and i get nothing.

edit

now i get nothing. im going to disassemble tomorrow but anyone have any ideas? i suspect bad soldering

9. roland654

roland654 Member

I also have the problem that backup disks are not loading (including the wiikey config disk), but originals are OK.

My soldering looks OK, and I tested it with a multimeter. My next step is to try Verbatim disks, or using an internal burner (I generally use my more reliable external one).

Could it be that we have the new motherboard which requires a different solder config? My serial number begins with LU316 amd I havnt been able to establish if thats the cause. Does anyone know how we can find out?

10. s1lva16

s1lva16 Member

If you have a D2C chipset, then that could be the problem. Also, try using a different Media such as TDK, i burned games at all different speeds and it never gives me bad reads. Also look into your burner ( really ware that it is a dvd writter issue), but usually i find that Pioneer and Lg burners work well with writing iso's to Dvd's. If all that fails, it could be a faulty modchip, which is rare.

11. ice109

ice109 Member

after 8 hours of frustration i realized my original game was scratched. but before i realized that i did probably 4 installations and removals and i lifted two pads!!!! lucky me i had an easy time soldering directly to the big IC. modchip= great success.

12. roland654

roland654 Member

How can I tell if I have a D2B or D2C?

13. PastorT

PastorT Member

you cant, unless you open it, and then you will see it on the dvd-controller IC :) or, if its produced in 2007 it most likely is a D2C, not 100% sure about the date though

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

PastorT, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP. yours is 52,974 bytes, 450wide x 192high & 2 lines of text.
    2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.
    4. If you want to use both text and image in your signature the image should not be more than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, and you can use up to three lines of text.

15. roland654

roland654 Member

OK so I was using cheap DVD+R's and when doing a verify with Nero or ImgBurn, they were coming up with LOTS of errors - so no suprise that they weren't loading. I rushed out and bought some Verbatim DVD-R's - they burned with no errors, using both Nero and ImgBurn. However, no improvement when inserting into the Wii - it still doesnt recognise either the config disc or a Wario Smooth Moves backup.

Given that I've used different media (only Verbatim DVD-R successful), different burning software, and different burners, XP and Vista, does that leave me with only two other possible causes:
    - D2B or D2C not compatible with standard Wiikey solder config?
    - Poor soldering of Wiikey?

Anything else it could be?

16. sanishik

sanishik Member

I bought in Canada, June 30th, 2007. I have D2B chipset and no three legs missing.

However I have same problem as with lot of posters here. I installed original Wiikey bought from consolesource.com all the solders are fine, I tested for short and connectivity with meters, every connection seems okay. but it doesn't paly any backup or setup dvd. I burned on Maxel +r as well as Maxel -R, tried both 8 and 4 speed to burn the disk. But none of the burned backups are working.

17. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  18. roland654

roland654 Member

Thanks for your help.

^%*^% Its the D2B I have with the legs cut off! After all that effort lol.

I dont trust myself to cut into the chip and do such fine solder work. I'll have to research more to see what pro's are available here to do the work.

19. jackoko88

jackoko88 Member

Hi All,

After installing wiikey, my wii can' t read any original dvd, either the setup disk 1.2.
    - the wiikey was solder by a pro, he double check it sgoudl be ok.
    - my wii is old version, after checking the serial number, it should be able to support the wiikey.
    - The wiikey was purchased in a official retail shop.
    After removing my wiikey, the disk can be read again!
    So I dought I haven't burn correctly my setup disk, I use verbatim DVD-R x8. But I already remove my wiikey, is it possible to check if the 1.2 setup dvd is working without wiikey?
    Thank You,
    Jackoko

20. razvanro

razvanro Member

Without WiiKey , the Wii console will not read any backup , so , is not possible to check if the 1.2 setup dvd is working .
    What zone is your Wii (usa , eu , jap ) ?
    Is your setup-cd at the same zone ?
    Are you making the corect settings (all zone = on) ?
    Did you saved the settings ?