DLL error upon start-up...help, please!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Auslander, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Okay, I'm not sure if this is serious or if i should be worried or what. Whenever I start my computer up, I get an error that says:

"Error loading C:WindowsSystem32NvCpl.dll

A dynamic link library (DLL) initiliazition routine failed."

Lately, I had problems with AOL (I know, but my sister won't let us change to a different ISP) and I was getting this and another error. AOL would stop responding after about a minute, and all sites would quit loading. I had to shut my computer down about 15 times. I reinstalled AOL, and the other warning went away along with my internet problems. But this warning remains. Any ideas?

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

NvCpl.dll is a file that Nvidia video cards use. You might try reinstalling your video drivers.

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

thing is, i'm using an ATI graphics card. I thought I had gotten rid of all my old Nvidia stuff from the original on-board card. did it somehow switch to using the integrated without my notice?

4. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Try an update for da drivers...might help...
    Hope everything works out

5. jbwshane

jbwshane Member

Removing nVidia drivers can be tricky on MS Windows, since the Plug-and-Play functionality sometimes helps out a little *too* much, and reinstalls drivers or even devices that aren't there...sometimes...

Since PnP will reinstall your Display Adapter, you may not have to completely remove the ATI drivers. (But keep in mind that you *might* have to remove an reinstall them later.) Rerun the nVidia uninstall, if it is still available. (Since this is an onboard device, you might want to leave the files, just for future convenience.) Check your Device Manager or Hardware Manager, and remove ALL your display adapters. (Windows and your BIOS can probably cope without them.) The Windows PnP might try to reinstall them--incorrectly.

So, to *hide* your onboard video from PnP, disable it in your BIOS Setup. In fact, you can probably disable all AGP functionality and switch your Initial Video setting from AGP Slot to PCI, if your BIOS Setup allows. This will allow the complete removal of the nVidia drivers when you start up.

Once this is done, upon restart, PnP will try to reinstall Display Adapters. Defeat it as much as possible simply by cancelling where allowed. Also, if Windows wants to reset your display settings, just cancel. If Windows asks you to restart, just say "No."

Now you should have just a rudimentary Generic PCI Video Adapter. Check in the Device Manager that this is the case. (This is the way it was before the OS and drivers were installed -- unless, of course, the machine was cloned in a factory!)

If your Display Adapters are all cleaned out, and there are no nVidia Managers or Control Panels left, you're ready to start installing the ATI card. If not, clean them up. (...places to look...Add-Remove-Change Programs Control Panel or Start Menu Program shortcuts Folder for the additional nVidia software, if any...)

When I have the CD or the Install Package for a namebrand AGP card, I like to run the setup with AGP functionality disabled, then restart, go into BIOS Setup and enable AGP and make the settings appropriate for the new card (according to the manual, if I don't think I can guess...)

Upon startup, PnP should find the new card and help you install it -- without that pesky onboard device bothering you!

6. jbwshane

jbwshane Member

My above reply was to the Question as asked. (Further cleanup might be done with msconfig, a reg cleaner etc.)

For those of you who are wondering about the NvCpl.dll startup error...here it is:

Here's what happened to me...

Short answer: Try reinstalling Windows Accessibility. (In *my* case.) (nVidia Desktop Manager and some other features use parts of Windows Accessibility.)

A longer answer:
    (Even if the missing DLL in your case is one other than oleacc.dll, this will work.)

The problem is not a missing or unregistered NvCpl.dll file.

Rather, it is a missing dll used by NvCpl.dll. (Yes, DLLs can use other DLLs!) The culprit on my own system was oleacc.dll -- missing!

How could I tell? With FileAlyzer, a handy tool from the makers of Spybot S&D (http://spybot.eon.net.au), I got a list of DLLs imported by NvCpl.dll, then checked to see which ones were not present and registered. Find the most recent version of the missing DLL or DLLs (They may be backed up on your very own hard drive) and copy them to %SYSTEM%. nVidia driver package automatically reinstalls on startup with nwiz, and your recovered DLLs are registered for use with nVidia Control Panel.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

thanks, jbw, but since then i have reformatted my hard drive to clean up everything. so, i no longer have this issue. however, had i not done that, i do believe the solution you added would have worked. at least the answer is up now, and can be found with a search. maybe those who never use the search will try it. let's hope, eh? thanks again, though. i didn't think anyone had the answer.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Windows XP Home w/ SP1 & SP2
    Antec SOHO II Server Case w/ 400w psu
    AMD Athlon 2600+ w/ 768mb sd ddr ram,
    Seagate 80 gig hdd & ATI Radeon AIW 9600XT
    Sony DRU-510A, HP dvd+r/rw burner, HP cd-rom[/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004