DMCA and Microsoft.....

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hk2npck, Nov 23, 2003.

1. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

Alright...the Xbox has a CD ripping feature....right? Under the DMCA, Isnt this illegal? It says that in no way can copy protection/encryption be broken, or is this just for computer software?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Most CD's don't have copy protection i.e. no encryption. The ones that do usually say so somewhere on it and I'm not sure how it would handle encrypted ones as I don't have an Xbox. It may depend on the specific copy protection used on the CD because some of them will allow very limited ripping, again I'm not for sure because I won't buy protected CD's.

DMCA is a piss-poor special interest piece of legislation that is used by many companies that sit on both sides of the fence. Sony is a great example. Their music label is involved with suing individuals who download and burn music yet they sell CD and DVD burners, blank media, and push their Viao computers as great for doing the same things they are suing people for.

Nice system btw. Those Raptors noticeably faster? I've got onboard serial raid on my mobo and have been considering picking up a couple._X_X_X_X_X_[small]I don't see the glass as half empty or half full. I just want to know if anyone spit in it.[/small]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2003
  3. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

I figure...the DMCA is bening used by all the big corporations to sue people....but why not have the people sue the corporations....bill gates has too much money...and about the raptors...36 Gigs...10K RPM...SATA....110 dollars...and it is worth every last dime....if you can afford it....buy 2 stripe them (RAID 0).... if your MOBO suports it....if not...dont bother with a PCI controler...it defeats the purpose of serial ATA...