do all players play dual layer

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Pete917, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Pete917

Pete917 Member

Do all DVD players play dual DVD's burnt on a home PC?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

No. If you are using +R DL media and your burner supports bitsetting, you can change the booktype from +R to DVD-Rom. This may help make your DL backups more compatible, but there are still DVD players that will not play them regardless. These days, you can buy a dvd player that will specifically say it plays DVD +/-/RW on the box. Have you tried to see if your player can play DL backups without problems?

3. Pete917

Pete917 Member

I havent tried DL yet. I have bought a NEC DVD RW ND-3520A which is a 16x DVD burner. I havent tried as I'm not sure which is the best / value for money media to by. I've been using Verbatim 16x single layer uptodate and have been very pleased. Any thoughts on how much I might have to pay for dual layer?

My stand alone DVD player is a Panasonic DVD S-27.

How can I test if it plays DL vackups?

Thanks
    Pete

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You can get Verbatim +R DL media for $2 per disc when they are on sale. I'm pretty sure BestBuy will have the 10 pk for $19.99 within the next few weeks. (I heard a while back that they were going to have the 20 pk for $29.99 next month)

Like I said before, if your burner supports bitsetting you may want to change the booktype on those discs to DVD-Rom. If you can afford to throw away 20 bucks, test them out and see first hand if they will play on your player. If you find that they don't work even when they are booktyped to DVD-Rom, maybe you can sell them to someone who can use them.(or buy a better DVD player)

If you are happy with the single layer backup you have, then maybe you're better off passing on the DL discs.

Good luck.