Do I need an upconverting DVD player?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by yanksfan, Aug 6, 2006.

1. yanksfan

yanksfan Member

What's the story on the "upconverting" DVD players? I don't have an HDTV, so does it matter? Does an upconverting player give HD-like quality?

I was thinking of getting an a Sony NS55P if I didn't need to get an Upconverting model.

Thanks for any help.

JOhn

2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

If you don't have or don't plan on buying an HDTV then the Sony should do just fine. Upconverting DVD players enhance (if I can use that term) the regular DVD signal which is 480i and convert it to 720p or 1080i "HD-like" quality. You will need an HDTV display with HDMI to take advantage of this although some upconverters have been known to pass 720p/1080i thru component. If your TV has component inputs then use that o/w S-video should be fine.

Go Yankees!

3. yanksfan

yanksfan Member

thanks for the advice

John

4. Snatched

Snatched Guest

I don't know. I'm a little leery about this up convert stuff. I'm mean will they be able to play any of your backup DVDS? Is this just a ploy to get those of us who backup their own material a smack in the face? By not be compatible?

It's a little scary personally. And have you notice how cheap they happen to be? I don't know seems to good to be true.

5. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Upconverting DVD players should have no problems with backups. Actually using backups allows you to send the upconverted signal via component (analog) as well as DVI/HDMI (digital). You'll need a purely digital HDCP compliant connection to upconvert if the disc is copy protected. I've had first hand experience with a Denon, a Toshiba and an Oppo upconverter.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2006
  6. Snatched

Snatched Guest

Well thank you for the info. I may give one of these up convert things a try. Since I'm thinking about off loading my Sony. I posted in another thread how Sony tends to skip or act funny when playing backups by their studios

7. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

A few years back Zenith came out with a model that upconverted original non-backup DVD's thru component (with original firmware).