Does anyone have a Flip Ultra HD?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by e5volcano, May 18, 2009.

1. e5volcano

e5volcano Member

I would like a portable, easy to use HD camcorder. I am not a pro, and I do not want to be one, so I just need a barebones one thats easy to use. I've heard the Flip brand is pretty good. I like the look/features of the UltraHD

Has anyone used one?
    Also, I heard that it is extremely recommended to use a tripod with them, is this true?

http://www.theflip.com/store/UltraHD.aspx

2. No_dope

No_dope Member

Yes I have a flip MinoHD
    It takes decent Video.
    It's only digital zoom.

Use a tripod the same way you wold use it witha regually camera.
    The only thing you can really do it set it down and try to record something. Thing of an old cassette case, It only really balences vertically.

They do sell mini tripods for instances where you may need to set it down and still record.
    I think a full blown HD camera that coast 60-100 is gonna give you better quality.

Let me try and relate the quality in a better way.

MINIDV Playback quality on a 27" analog TV is about equal to
    MINOHD Playback quality on a 42" HDTV in full 16X9

On smaller screens like the PC and your old TV it will look 50-100x better than the oldm MINIDV tapes

LCD on the MINOHD can be hard to see sometime, cause it's so small, but so is the camera.

WE took ours to disney and I loved not having to lug around the bigg camera back the MINO fit in my pocket which was a huge plus.

The sofware that come with it is great, easy to use, upload to anywhere, email, online, create dvd's you name it.

Only Drawback to the software is, you cannot change the default location of where the video is downloaded to. The flip program will only reconze the video in that folder, so once you move it, you can't edit video with the flip program.
    I found a work around if you use Windows.
    It's called folder redirection.
    XP_ rediert the my document folder before in stalling to a HDD or partition with alot of space.
    Vista you can redirect the video folder it self.

I'll post how to do that in another post

3. No_dope

No_dope Member