Does anyone have a LF-d321u panasonic dvd-r recorder?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by BurnChamp, Dec 23, 2002.

1. BurnChamp

BurnChamp Guest

I'm thinking about getting this burner, does anyone have it or have any recogmendations?

2. Quignsean

Quignsean Guest

I do. I just got it though for Christmas. I love it. DVD-R is very compatible. It seems to like generic DVD-Rs as much as expensive Fuji, and Maxell. Plus I get 9.4 Gig of rewritability for backup. Not only that I can use it with a DVD-Ram like a hard drive drag and drop, I can erase files w/o having to formatthe disc like cdrw and DVD-RW/+RW. And I can get Blank Princo (Semi generic) DVD-Rs from Pricewatch.com for 3$32 USD for 50 What else can I say, I love my LF-D321
    Sean

3. randyshan

randyshan Member

I just purchased this drive and can't get DVD-r's to work. I've tried a couple different brands, including memorex (general use version 2.0) and it just says 'unsupported disk'

4. kmanc41

kmanc41 Guest

Quignsean,
    I have been trying to get this drive to work since Dec 25. I have used Memorex and Emtec DVD-R's. Nothing works. I have yet to burn a successful DVD that can be watched on my home dvd player. I have tried numerous amounts of software. You are the only person that I have read about who as been able to use this drive. Please help. This thing is EBAY bound.

5. randyshan

randyshan Member

I have mine working now. To burn DVD-R's you must have more software. The best buy I found was DVDECHO (www.dvdecho.com).

6. kmanc41

kmanc41 Guest

thanks randyshan I will give it a shot

7. lbeck

lbeck Member

I have the 321u and have been using it successfully for about 6 months. I am satisfied with it, but I will admit to having some problems getting it installed. I had to call the mfgr and he directed me to an obscure Panasonic site in Japan http://www.panasonic.co.jp/dvdram/english/softdl/index.html where I was able to download some updated drivers and firmware.

I was a little disappointed that Panasonic didn't have the recorder more ready for consumers, but at the rapid pace of development and market entry I guess that's what you can expect. The recorder has already been updated to the 521.

However, as I said, I'm pretty satisfied with my 321 since I've had it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2003
  8. kmanc41

kmanc41 Guest

lbeck,
    did you have any specific settings/configurations? I just can't seem to get this thing to work I have all the latest drivers/firmware and have tried numerous amounts of software. Any help would be great

9. lbeck

lbeck Member

kmanc41,

Will the 321 read at all? From your previous posts it appears that you may have a problem actually making DVD-Rs. If so, your 321 may be okay. I'd start simple. You should see 2 drives if installation is accurate. One is listed as CD-ROM or DVD-ROM and the other is "REmovable drive", if my memory is right. Remember that the 321 doesn't write to CD or CD/RW, but it does read both. You need to use the "removable drive" to write to DVD media. I'd get me a DVD-RAM and try writing a few files to that before you ruin any more DVD-Rs. If it writes to the RAM disks, then it should write to -Rs. BTW, I've had bad luck with Memorex DVD-RAMs.

If you have a hardware problem (i.e., your computer doesn't read from the drive or the drives aren't listed) then I'd call Panasonic support. They were helpful once I got to the right place. They had me check to see if my drive was configured right since I had 2 HDs in addition to the 321. I believe that Todd at Panasonic said to hook up the 321 to the 2nd IDE controller as master and have nothing as slave. However, as I mentioned, my problem was getting the right drivers/firmware installed. Once that happened, everything was okay.

One other thing, this drive is really slow in reading the first information. Sometimes takes 20-30 seconds to read. Also, I sometimes need to hit "refresh" or reinsert the medium to wake it up. You'll know it's running if the amber light is on (not green). If you get in too much of a hurry you may assume that the drive is not working because it returns an error message when you click on it. I don't recall the error but it's someting like "no medium" drive not ready or"incorrect function". In any event, be sure to give the drive time to read and be sure that the amber light comes on. Once it gets going, the write speed seems okay.

As I said, if you can't get it going try contacting Panasonic. Todd was the ost help for me. I initially spoke with someone named Katy (sp) and she sent me on a wild goose chase disconecting and reconnecting drives. Todd was the one that recognized that I didn't have the right drivers/firmware.

Good luck.