Does slower extraction time mean the iso will come out different?

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by xboxearth, Oct 24, 2007.

1. xboxearth

xboxearth Member

Hey all,

I have many .rxx (.r00,r01..etc), that I have put on dvd to save space on my hdd. But I don't want to delete these files until I am positive that the final iso image that comes out at the end will be exactly identical.

I have done a test in winrar to see if the iso will be extracted without problems. I did 3 tests:
    Test #1 - Winrar test with all original files
    Test #2 - Winrar test with original .r00 to .r20 replaced with .r00 to .r20 from data dvd i made
    Test #3 - With a corrupted .rar file replaced original .rar

Test were done in this order, one after the other. T#1, T#2, T#3, T#1, T#2.

Test #1 took 4mins to complete winrar test. Test #2 took 6mins to complete winrar test. Test #3 started with a error crc for the .rar.

Now my questions are:
    1) Can this time difference in any way mean that the iso image, will come out damaged (even by smallest difference)?
    2) Does a winrar test mean 100% that the iso image will come out how it was meant to come out?
    3) Is it possible for winrar to extract a bad iso image (when it's a perfect iso). or if it's going to be a bad iso, 100% positive that it will warn you by telling you which file will affect it, so that it can be replaced?
    (by the way, winrar does not take up my ram)

Thankyou very much for your time and help:)

2. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

1.Extraction time means very little. Factors such as amount of ram your comp has, the method used to archive the data, etc. make times vary. You may get 2 sets of rars, total size of both 1 gig, and the elapsed time to unrar be significantly different.

2.If the iso unrar's properly, ie you don't encounter any crc errors or corrupt archive errors, the iso (or whatever was in the archive) will be what was originally packed. In some cases the image was fouled up from the beginning, so take that into consideration.

3.Not quite sure what exactly you are asking. You extract what was packed, based on crc. So yes, you will get a "perfect iso" if extraction is completed successfully.....but again, you may end up with a dud if it was bad before it was archived.

Hope that helps a bit.