Double Layer Discs

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by yankee22, Aug 7, 2005.

1. yankee22

yankee22 Member

Does anyone know how to get a double layer backup disc to work in an xbox? I tried to backup Jade Empire onto a Memorex DVD+R DL, but the xbox wouldn't read it. I have made backups of other games on regular DVD-R discs that work great, and I have a sony DVD recorder drive capable of Double Layer burning. Any suggestions? By the way, I have an Xecuter3 Ce chip, if that matters.

2. XMel

XMel Member

if im not mistaken the ability to read dvd9 relies on the chip capability to do it or the swapdisk version you use. in other words your chip must have the ability to read this type of disc. but please do more research on the subject this is information that i had read in this forums.

3. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

@XMel, that is absolute rubbish. It has nothing to do with you modchip as to whether you can play dual layer disc's. Can you play halo 2......Yes.....Thats dual layer.
    @yankee22 it could be the media that you are using. there has been quite a long thread going on memorex media.....Aparently, it's shite :)
    try changing media. also, how are you backing up the game? what programs are you using?

4. yankee22

yankee22 Member

Thanks Bubba, I'm using Flash FXP to transfer game to my computer HDD. Then I am taking that folder and creating an iso using Craxtion 4. After that I burn using Nero burning rom. I have a Sony DRU-710A burner.

5. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

ok, try using Qwix to transfer the game and create an Xiso all at once. Also make a shortcut to nero wherever the xiso is going to be saved, then drag the xiso onto a shortcut of nero and it should figure out how to burn it automatically.
    You can use this method with any game not just dual layer games....Although I can't really see any fault in the method you are trying. If this does not work do a search on google for something like "Unnecessary xbox files" because there is a site that specializes in figuring out what files can be deleted when creating backups so that dual layer disc game can fit onto a single layer disc.

Hope this helps

6. jamieshan

jamieshan Member

My Xbox hates "+" media. Most if not all dual layer media is in the "+" format. This might be your problem. Does anyone know if they even make dual layer blanks in the "-" format? My system will read the "+" dual layer media but I eventually get the DDE message.

jamieshan

7. craig134

craig134 Guest

Use Verbatim dual layer media, burn at the recommended speed and be sure to bit set the media to dvd-rom. That's worked fine for me with my Verbatim DVD+R 2.4X DL backups of Rallisport Challenge 2 and MGS2:Substance/

8. hedmunky

hedmunky Member

I have a backup of Jade Empire on a DVD+R DL and itll play fine for awhile then I get that f'ing "Disc may be dirty or damaged" screen. I think since the DVD Burners that are out now that support DVD-R DL's are cheap now, Im gonna sell my burner and get me one that supports DVD-R DL's and make another backup of Jade Empire on one of those since my Xbox hates +R's anyway. That could be a good solution.

9. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

-R is recommended anyways. Xbox's don't really like +R's.

10. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

Funny my XBOX™ doesn't seem to mind which way I swing on the DVD±R\RW issue. I guess my Philli., must be blessed that way! The only Media my XBOX™ HATES! is CD-R's I can not get any of my CD-R Audio / Movie Discs to playback. It will however read CD-R\RW's just fine however. Unfortunatly this behavior is up to each individual DVD-ROM Drive that was packed in your XBOX™ at the Factory. To my knowledge there is no Modchip that can rule over the DVD-ROM Drive. It will or not read whatever Media it has it's mind set to.

So don't confuse the abillity to play any 'ol 'Unsigned Code' Disc (i.e. Backups) with the ablitiy to read whatever you decide to chuck in there. Great example: PSX Discs, the XBOX™ DVD-ROM Drive was never desigend to read and playback the Subchannel Data on the PSX CD's upshot? The XBOX™ will not read such CD's. The only other option is to store 'em as .bin & .cue on the HDD. Again A single Modchip is not going to refocus the Laser Pick-up in the DVD-ROM Drive.

There are some good guide on X-S on how you could manualy refocus the Pick-up unit in order to actualy be able to read such Media. However if Soldering a $10.00(USD), Modchip scares the willies out of you, then this thought should probably scare you more.

As for DVD±R\RW Media in this case 'Memorex' was named. I'd love for one of you to try a Program called DVD Identifier and then tell me who the Manufacture was. Because it WAS NOT MEMOREX!! Memorex is at best an OEM Distributer and not the actuall Manufacture.

A Manufacture would be:
    Optodisc
    Reitek
    Taiyo Yuden Co Ltd.
    Princo <- Generaly held to be the worst (i.e. most useles Manufacture of them all

Of couse there are other things to keep in mind when you burn a XBOX™ DVD Backup. Like makeing sure to burn such Discs in there native XFS / XISO Format. The XBOX™ is not big on NTFS of FAT32 Partitions. The same could be said of M$ OS's when tied to the XFS / XISO Partitons too.

Other things to note might be the DVD bitswitch setting on your Burner / Software. So that when you burn a DVD+ the Media Flag will get changed to DVD-ROM and thuss hopefully have a bit more luck in getting your DVD-ROM Drive to read the Disc.

11. westsides

westsides Guest

XBOX WONT PLAY MEMOREX OR DURABRAND DUE TO THE ENCODING ON THE DISKS

12. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

I'll agree that Memorex isn't the best brand out there but I've gone through a 50 pack of DVD-r without any problems(xbox plays games & movies fine on these discs and I have 3 xbox's). When they're on sale for 19.99 for 50 I get them.

13. westsides

westsides Guest

it must have something to do with the versions your xboxs are.

14. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

I've tried them on many versions 1.0-1.5 no 1.6 yet. I think alot of problems people think they have with media is in reality 1. User error 2. bad iso 3. wrong options used while burning
    There [bold]is[/bold] crappy generic media out there. I bought a pack of CompUSA dvd-r and burned some movies and they would hardly play. All brand name media I've used has worked pretty well.

15. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

90% of the time people think that they have bad media but it is either the settings on evox or the other most common problem is that they have a thomson or phillips drive that doesn't like the writable disks that they use. For the EvoX prob all they just need to change the region settings from ntsc or pal to auto. For the drive problem...... hehe, they need to get a better dvd drive :)