downloading files fom my laptop to my computer

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by carmen, Jul 30, 2007.

1. carmen

carmen Member

i do alot of work on my laptop and then need to store it on my home pc , what is the easiest way to connect these two?the files i transfer re large and i would prefer it not to have to connect my home pc to the internet and was hoping there was just a specific plug or something?or would i have to network them together?thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

how big are the files as can use an usb flash drive. i use a 512meg version when working on customers' computers.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I have a 2GB flash drive that works well, but if you have a slug of large files, an external hard drive would be the way to go for the transfer, or for storage, without the transfer.

Flash drives do have a limited life.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  4. carmen

carmen Member

a flash drive is too small and i have an external drive but it doesnt get pickeed up by my old computer for some reason. the only other option i can think of is networking my home pc with laptop through a switch or or sumthing as my hm pc and laptop both have ethernet connections?do u think anything like this would work.?thnaks

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

you can do a P2P to transfer data between PC and notebook or vice/versa

I have a 120gb usb WD passport that I use all the time plus a 4gb flash drive.

The 120gb is usb powerd so no actual plug required, plus its small.

6. carmen

carmen Member

im not sure if i can create a p2p network.... see i have a home pc and its old, basically im just trying to add more space and speed which is what ive done so i can store things on it and from time to time use a few applications on it. i use my laptop primarily to do work and use the internet aswell as download movies and music. i want to move these movies and music files over to my pc and when i need them from my pc move them back to my laptop easily. im not sure if i can use a switch and cords etc to do this?

otherwise is there any otherway in which i can connect the actual pc straight to my laptop without having to use the monitor?

i realise that using a usb drive would be probably most efficient but i own a 120gb and 40gb and i have tried many times to get them to work on my old pc but they dont.
    thanks for your help.

7. ddp

the 40 & 120gig hd's, are they in the computer or extra drives? who makes the drives?

8. carmen

carmen Member

well i have a 40gb EXCEL USB2.0 2.5 'hdd external storage system- i dont know what is wrong with the drivers which came with the installation cd but it wont work on my pc which has win98 or my laptop which has windowsxp media centre.

my other hardwrive is a 120gb Soloman 2.5 usb 2.0 external box for 2.5"hdd - this one does show up on my laptop but not on my pc ?

i am unsure if it is the fact that my pc is old or why these wouldnt show up even in the device manager?

thanks

9. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

usb cable between both systems and set up a network and transfer your files like that,

10. ddp

carmen, uninstall the driver for the excel drive on the win98 machine. uninstall the usb ports in device manager on both pc's & restart windows so it can load it's driver. connect the excel drive to win98 so windows find new hardware & either loads it's driver or load of cd. what is the chipset on the win98 pc & laptop as in via, sis, intel or amd?