1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

downloading new Socom maps

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by phoenix2, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Bayonne

Bayonne Member

hi guys , im new to the board and i have a question. its probably simple but here goes.

I have the Sony HDD right...and i was wondering if I got the HD Loader, would it work and still be able to play the new socom maps?

2. MaDmAxX

MaDmAxX Member

3. MaDmAxX

MaDmAxX Member

by the way, i am trying to see if there is a way to put the games on the non-sony HDD through a PC... I'm not sure if it will work, since i'm not an expert, but i thought people could try and help figure a way.
    I have all 3 dvds with the maps on them. I will try to extract them onto my computer and i will do some research to see if i can put them on the harddrive.
    If somebody knows this isnt going to work, please tell me.

4. MaDmAxX

MaDmAxX Member

YES!!! After many hours of searching today, I THINK I have found something!!!
    I have found a site with a rar file that says: "PS2 HDD tool - CD Image, needs either
    modchip or Swaptrick to load:

Hard drive setup disc included with
    Final Fantasy XI Beta Cracked by ps2ownz
    USE: For attaching a generic IDE hard drive
    (non-official Sony HDD) to the PS2 Network Adaptor and formatting it for use."

I did not test it out yet, because I am going to have to transfer my games on my PC hdds so I dont lose them, then I will try to format my Maxtor HDD!
    I do not guaratee anything, but this might be what we were looking for!
    I am not sure if I am allowed to give the site away, so just PM me if you want to try it too.

5. themind

themind Member

there is more then one page on this subject and it talks about what you are trying to do.

6. MaDmAxX

MaDmAxX Member

after more research, i have realised that the only way to play games with HDD support like Socom 2, RE:O, and FFXI is to make a patched and reburnt game. You would have to get a socom 2 ISO, patch it, burn that ISO, then boot it on your modded ps2.
    That seems to be the only way... I have pretty much given up.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  7. pnonso

pnonso Member

So the only way we know of so far is to have a mod chip, burn a copy of the original ps2 format disc for the hard drive, and load it into your system.

8. digitalx1

digitalx1 Member

If anyone is a programmer and could possibly decrypt a .IRX File (some file on my SOCOM II CD) Then please either EMail me at NO_POSTING_EMAILS@AFTERDAWN.COM or AIM at succumbxtoxevil - then contact me, cuz i could give u the HDD/DNAS (If u need the DNAS one lol) .IRX Files (Contains the info it uses to find it/connect to DNAS etc...) Then please do so! Becuz this could possibly help us get our HDD's to D.L The new maps! cuz i have a SeaGate 40GB HDD That fits into my Network Adapter perfectly... but I dont have a modchip... lol (HDD Folder contains ATAD.IRX, HDD.IRX, and PFS.IRX)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  9. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

digitalx1,

No posting emails. Forum rules.

10. digitalx1

digitalx1 Member

what program can i use to burn PS2 format discs?

11. hockeypro

hockeypro Member

hi guys im new to the forum. I have the Sondy HDD but when i go to download a socom II map it just says continue and then goes back to the menu... I have the hDD enabled but nothing seems to be happening..any help would be appreciated.
    BTW, these are the user created maps or something i guess, they arent the maps that come on the discs, those work fine

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  12. aoeui

aoeui Member

i took a new sony official hdd out of the box and did a bit by bit copy of it using 'dd' (the linux utility). The partition table didn't make any sense to linux or windows, so I couldn't see the contents of the drive or mount it. dd copied every bit of the drive to another drive of the exact same size. Unfortunately the drive was not the exact same geometry (different number of heads/cylinders) but it was a 40Gb Seagate drive.

Once the bit-by-bit copy was done (using 1Mb chunks) I put the Seagate drive in the playstation with the official harddrive utility disk in the drive. It didn't recognize the harddrive and couldn't format it.

Someone should try the same type of harddrive but it may be some hardware protection that prevents it from reading any other drives.

13. bdstreet

bdstreet Member

Thanks for the update on the bit for bit copy test. I was going to try a similar test with Symantec's Ghost, since that's a bit for bit copy. It sounds like they've put some damned firmware on the HDs to only let Sony HDs get recognized for Map downloads.

14. mvincent

mvincent Member

bdstreet
    I did that test already one page back.

See the results

15. yumemiru

yumemiru Member

I got an idea, someone call up sony and tell them they accidentally erased their HD, or similar story, and ask them what they should do to get it working again, try to fork the answers out of them...... Idk, I'm desperate, try anything.

16. pnonso

pnonso Member

Lol. You can't erase the hard drive on the ps2, you'd need to connect it to a PC and that would void warranty.

17. yumemiru

yumemiru Member

Can someone reverse engineer the format disk that came with the FFXI HDD, rewrite part of it, so it can be run from the PC to format any harddrive directly from the PC?

18. Ump

Ump Member

The only way ive found to play the HDD maps on my Maxor HDD and DMS4 modded PS2 is on Xlink http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/ . Xlink is a program u run on your computer to play online in LAN mode. No DNAS, SO modchips and backups will work fine. There is also a HDD patch at http://www.ps2nfo.com/ that will work for those with swapdisks( i think?), but they would have to find a PS2 compatible HDD and have someone with a modded( and ATAD patched) PS2, format the drive and install the maps.

Hope this helps.

19. rbranma

rbranma Member

hi UMP!
    Did you really play those new socom2 maps from non-sony HDD?Does your way worked out?Have you got that OPM demo disc with all 3 new socom2 maps??

20. Ump

Ump Member

So far i havnt played with anyone who has the maps over xlink, not many people playing socom, but over 400 people a night playing Halo2 on xbox(they don't know what their missing). I can make a room with them selected however. If we can get all those modded PS2s out there playing. Then, oh hoho, then we we'l be cooking. The OPM issue 90 may still be on the shelves it has all 3 socom maps on it.