Downloads are SLOW but connection is FAST

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by VBonez, Aug 14, 2007.

1. VBonez

VBonez Member

Hello peoples,

I am downloading via Utorrent and I can only download at an average of 7 kb/s consistently!
    If you look at my speedtest results you can see that I can download way quicker than this... what gives??? how can I maximize my bandwidth!?!! arghhhhh

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Torrent is not a direct dowload system. Meaning you are not directly d/l from any one site. You are instead D/L from multiple users at the same time over the net and they also D/L from you. This is P2P shareing.

This means that it will depend on how many people have the file you seek and how fast thier send speeds are. There is no gaurentee you will D/L at a certain speed and maintain it. 7 is average belive it or not. You may get lucky and get one arround 30 only if enough people have it and have fast send speeds. I hardly ever get near or above 30 even though my avg net speed is 2Mbs. Most of mine will hover arround 5 to 15k.

Its not your conection speed that dertimines this it is availability and the senders speed. Hope this make sense for you.

-Del

3. VBonez

VBonez Member

Thanks Mr.

Yeah I understand about it depending on what the uploaders can offer but the wierd thing is that I used to get speeds of 30 kb/s up to 100 kb/s but not it seem I am capped at 7 kb/s.

This is also wierd! if I am downloading only one file at a time I will get 7 kb/s on it but If I am downloading 3 files at the same time I will get 2 kb/s on 2 files and maybe 3 kb/s on the last file bringing the total to the 7 kb/s. If i am download 7 files files at the same time they will each get about 1 kb/s each. I have done the port forwarding and stuff.. hmmmmmmmm

I never see ANY speeds go over 7 kb/a and I used to see them regularly, I wonder what changed?? when i do speed tests it shows my connection is good but it is something definitely to do with Utorrent.. might uninstall and try another torrent program.. any other suggestions.. (i really dont want to reinstall b/c I have lots of files that are half downloaded)

4. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

what do you have your up speed set at? have your down speed set at unlimited, and your up speed to 25k or less, also do you have your port forward?

5. VBonez

VBonez Member

my Upload speed is set at 1 kb/s max. and that is in order.. I check the stats with the Utorrent graph
    my downloads are set at unlimited...

I just did the port forward check that is in utorrent and here are the results

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.
    A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 2526* on 72.142.168.***...

OK! Port 2526* is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

I replaced some numbers with * for privacy reason...

any other suggestions ? hmmmmm

6. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

if you get with a private tracker and you have some good seeders you should see some verry good seeds, i just finnished a 728 mg file in 28 min there were 35 seeders and 145 leachers, good luck

7. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

I have a 2Mb connection also and have my download speed set at 200kbps and my upload speed at 7kbps. well the up speed is determined by me choosing xx/96k from the speed guide in the options drop down menu, but these settings are working fine and get me decent speeds. give them a try and let me know.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  8. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

There is one thing I cant understand though. When downloading it can say there are 200 seeds and 200 peers (example). Azerus seems to only conect to no than than 3 each. Why have so many seeds when you dont connect to them all. Must be an Azerus thing.

Now one thing I have noticed is that most of my D/L would be at minimum 15k but for the last month I am lucky to get 10k unless D/L direct. Then I get about 100k. Does not make sense to me.

I am looking for an alternative. Torrent to me has just seemed to slow down. Any sugestion on how to increase the speed a bit let me know. I dont think it is the senders since there are so many and I only connect to 3 or 5. In the setting I have it wide open in all areas.

-Del

9. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

You've got me my friend. The little i know you do too. Sorry.

10. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Always dl from good trackers such as mininova and torrentspy. Better yet, try to register to some private trackers coz the speeds are awesome! Here's a little brainstorming:

1.) The larger the file, the longer it takes to reach maximum speeds

2.) Don't dl files that have less than 10 seeders coz you'll end up crying (hehe, mostly the speed would be 5kb)

3.) Check DVDback's guide on how to speed you torrent downloading.(just type DVDBack23 in the search engine and you'll see it)

4.) Don't cap your upload speed to 1 coz it also hurts the incoming connection, which can make you dl speed faster. (at least put it to 8-10. But it really depends on your internet connection. Just check dvdback's guide ;)

5.) Lastly, be patient! :D

11. VBonez

VBonez Member

DONT CAP YOUr UPLOAD AT 1 kb/s !!! I went into the utorrent settings and changed the cap to 10 kb/s and then I swear my torrents kb/s starting going through the roof!!! i am going from an average of 7 kb/s to around 100 kb /s ... that was the sudden change in my loss of speed.. i set the cap to 1 kb /s and ever since its been slow.. now that I put it to 10 kb/s i am up and flying again!!! thanks for the helps peoples!!! very nice!

12. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Am glad that it helped. But make sure to check DVDback's guide coz it will max your dl speed ten fold! :D

*oh, one more thing. If you want to have a better dl speed,always download during midnights and early mornings coz these are the times where incoming connections are less traffic. The less traffic, the more income connection you'll get.

13. VBonez

VBonez Member

Shwaber, you are the man! thanks for passing that info along.

I have read through the guide and implemented more changes, its 2am right now and my downloads are flying, I love it.

14. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

Glad you got it sorted VBonez. Setting your up speed too low directly affects the down speed.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  15. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

No problem. After all, were here to help.

16. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I have found something. This may help you or others. I used to get fast d/l on torrent then one day I was lucky to even get them to move.

So I went all over the net for an answere and found it. Turns out ISPs can put a slow down on torrent taffic and more that likely my ISP just added a sniffer. So I try many clients with the same result.

In Azureus I added a plug in called safepeer. I then selected to require encrypted transport set at RC4. Also allow non-encrypted for incomming. Then boom my d/l are even faster that before the slow down happened. NOw I get 100-150K total.

Hope this info helps out.

-Del

17. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I forgot to mention one thing. You also need to change the Ports. Choose a port from the 49152–65534. I did this but azueus changed the ports to 46311 incomming TCP and 47186 UDP Incoming. I know these are not in the range specified but it works so I am not going to adjust it. You may need to open the ports in your router.

-Del

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  18. tripplite

tripplite Guest

depends on amount of seeders/lechers are you open to all ports

right click on your internet connects icon in your task bar> select change windows firewall settings> click on the tab that says exceptions and make sure your bitorrent client is on there

i could say more but i think everything else has been said

good luck