DRU-500ax - - Can't install power_DVD from sony install disk

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by S_T, May 12, 2003.

1. S_T

S_T Member

Having waited 4 months for my dru-500ax I'm veryy happy with it but cannot install power_dvd from the sony install disk. I keep getting the following error:

Error: Can only be installed with Sony DVD-Rom.

I am using the dru to try installing the software, it is detected as dru-500a in my hardware list and the other software installs OK.

Anybody seen this and know how to fix it.

Also, may be related, but I previously had a dw10a but sent it back because the software bundle was crap but when I try to unistall the vob software it dickies around with some files and my ide drives all show with the yello warning flag in the hardware list. When restoring to an earlier time, it's fine again.

2. awesomejt

awesomejt Member

I had a similar problem, but with the Record Now software. The problem was the installer would appear and I would choose the software to be installed, but the installer complained it could not find the setup file. I verfied this with Windows Explorer and saw all the files were missing. Anyways, I called tech support and they didn't know what to do. I popped out the disc and re-inserted and magically everything worked fine. Must of been a bad disc that gave the drive problems reading the first time or something.

3. S_T

S_T Member

Good try but not that. I have tried running the powerdvd install directly (rather than the sony install utility running it) and it calls the installer properly. It unpacks the cab files and as it goes to install it then kicks back with that message.

So, still unsolved if anyone has other advice.
    Ta

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I had a copy of Power DVD from when I got my Pioneer DVD-RW 104 quite a while ago.

I got another copy a little while ago when I purchased a Lite-On 165H , if you want a copy just P.M. me (if your still having problems of course)

Peace

5. ejm

ejm Guest

If you read the readme file first, you would have seen that you had to install PowerDVD first then the burning software. I did this and had absolutly no problems at all.

ejm

6. S_T

S_T Member

I think I know what you mean, it mentions that you cannot install it if you load Veritas DLA. I haven't loaded veritas DLA yet and am waiting to resolve the PDVD problem.

Is this what you mean?
    Steve

7. Packman99

Packman99 Member

Copy the powerdvd directory from the cd to the hard disk, then try the install.