DRU-500AX & Region free?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by NikosG13, Mar 12, 2003.

1. NikosG13

NikosG13 Member

Hi all,

Just bought the Sony DRU-500AX in the UK. Can anyone clarify for me what the "region" status is with this player?

To be more specific, I used PowerDVD XP4 and of course I am only allowed five region changes. I understand that it is possible to disable the region selection on PowerDVD XP4 with a program like DVDGenie. If that is the case, will the actual drive then play DVDs from any region or is there a similar counter as for the software? Any ideas how to overcome a potential hardware region limit (patch, chip, etc?).

Apologies for the amount of info requested but I'm quite new to this and don't want to end up with a locked drive.

Thanks in advance

Nikos

2. junfan

junfan Member

Does anyone know the answer, as i have got one of these on order, no idea when i will get it, but have been searching the net to find if it is region free or not?

3. marc_gard

marc_gard Guest

I have just bough a 500ax and initialy had some issues with getting this to works with various applications. The drive did not seem to read any DVD's using DVD Decrypter, and DVD X Copy. I have since discovered that the drive as standard was set to Region 1 (I'm not too sure if this is the case with them all) since changing this to 2 all applications have been able to read DVDs without any issue.

I too am concerned about locking up my DVD and if anyone has any method of having unlimited region changes I would be very appreciative of your advice.