DSL gateway/modem/router help plz ISP making a killing

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by wolv2377, Sep 23, 2009.

1. wolv2377

wolv2377 Regular member

I have had MANY issues with my ISP, I want cable but the DSL is the only Broadband company around so thats not an option just yet. Anyway, the issue is I have to rent their gateway (the modem and router all in one unit) monthly and its an Actiontec GT724WGR. This is the only gateway they rent out. I wanted to go with a name brand gateway like Netgear or other name brand. But I purchased a Netgear gateway modem/router and tried everything to get it to go with NO LUCK. I am on a PPPOA connect and I know my VPI and VCI values and all of my log in information but never could get the thing to connect. So I returned it..I dont know how good or bad the actiontec is but I dont think its up to par on PS3 Gaming. I have opened all the ports and dmz'd the ps3 and gave it a static ip. It connects but I would love to max out the speed on the gateway as I think the router is not a game friendly unit. Any advise on settings I can tweak in the gateway or can anyone tell me a gateway product that would work with my connect? Thanks everyone.

2. dailun

dailun Active member

It won't help. You can tweak the speed on the modem all you want. Max speed is determined by the DSLAM at the central office.

As for ISPs, if you are in the US, check and see if there is an alternate DSL provider that doen't make you rent the modem.

Buying a DSL modem without knowing what kind of DSL you have is really a shot in the dark. There are several different flavors of DSL and none of them are compatible with each other and each require their own modem.

3. keebles

keebles Regular member

You might have to contact your ISP and tell them that you got a new modem. I had to do this when I got tired of renting Comcast's modem. At first they told me that I couldn't use my own and kept giving me the run around. Then I told them that their modem was a piece of cr@p and kept freezing up(which it did)when ever I tried to play xbox live.