dsl hub

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rtrg, Oct 10, 2008.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am switching to my cable co. for my internet connection. Like all cable modems there is only ONE dsl port provided. Is there such a thing called a DSL HUB? In cunstruction similar to a usb hub, and in function. I cannot find one. I have seen 4 0r 8 port SWITCHERS but was told that these switchers NEED a router to feed it the incomeing signal from the modem. The whole point in using cable is it*s reliability and speed. The issue is only ONE tower. I need a hub connected to the dsl port to give me multiple ports that I can use to connect multiple towers as I do now with my phone modem which is not as reliable. Does such a hub exist? Where can I get RAW 8 pin, rj45 female jacks so I can make my own HUB? A very simple solution. I will not buy yet another router just to use the cable modem to make it a similar configuration to my existing phone modem, That defeats the purpose of going to cable. Another alternitive I thought would work would be to use one modem provided by the cable provider, set it up, and then add 2 more all parralled to the single input line, each powerd independantly, each one feeding it*s own tower. That would give me two working tower connections and one for testing towers all without haveing to disconnect wires to move to another location. Tis one dsl port for cable modems is a defficentcy. There must be a simple and inexpencive alternitive. Although I have access to FREE parts, the aggrivation almost negates that. I could make up my own hub if I could find raw rj45 female jacks in io mins. Sugestions?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

routers are for both cable modems & dsl modems. the difference between a cable modem & dsl modem is the input cable into the modem, dsl uses telephone line & cable uses coax cable.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have since found a small simple BELKIN g 4 port router which is both wired and wireles for dsl connections. I will use it wired, I don*t trust wireless signals to get from the router to the appropriate tower. My modem is not here yet but I have done all my prep work. When it gets here I will cancel my phone dsl service. This router was "FREE". Can*t beat that price! I used my phone modem to be sure it functioned, which it does. I gues this is the closest thing to what I was envisiong, a bit mor sofisticated but it*s small size makes it a good choice. Thank you for the input.

4. ddp

no problem

5. varnull

varnull Guest

hey.. cool.. something for nothing is great.. I wish there had been companies like that 30 years ago when I started stealing phonelines to post on the arpanet bbs services.

Enjoy your router.. and the wired choice is way the best.

6. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

my self i would not jump on the cable band wagon yet, it would all depend on how many users the cable have, dsl should be faster cheeper and much less hassle, one good thing about the phone company you get 24 hour support for dsl.

7. ddp

rdmercer, depends on where you live determines whether dsl is fast then cable. here in canada or at least the province of ontario that i live in that cable is faster then dsl by a long shot. w5 did a test uing rogers(cable), shaw(cable), i think telus(dsl) & bell sympatico(dsl) dowloading the same size file onto identical laptops at supposedly the same speeds. rogers was the fastest & bell was the slowest by hours.

8. varnull

varnull Guest

Out here in no mans land the best dsl is 1Mb.. cable is "up to" 10 when Virgin haven't capped or over sold.