dual layer dvd's = better video quality?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by NicksPick, Nov 21, 2005.

1. NicksPick

NicksPick Member

Hi all.
    I transfer my dv tapes directly to my computer and use widows movie maker for everything else. I then burn my home videos to a dvd.
    If I were to buy a dual layer dvd burner and media, will I get better quality movies or just more space to burn video?

The reason I ask is because my video size is around 13gb being compressed to 4.7gb. If my disc was 9.4 (or whatever)would I get better quality or just 2 hours of video rather than 1.

Thanks for your help.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

In principle you can use a higher bitrate on a dual layer disc which means better quality. However, the maximum bitrate of DVD is around 9000kb/s. If you limit the amount of video on a single layer disc to around one hour you're already close to the maximum bitrate ,so you will not get a better quality wehn going to dual layer.
    If you would be putting two hours on a single layer right now and then go to a dual layer and put these two hours on it, you will get significant quality improvement.

3. NicksPick

NicksPick Member

OK. Makes sense.
    I appreciate the feedback. I think I got to used to my hdtv and now seeing the videos on it, makes it look extremely grainy, even in dv-avi files.

Nick