dual mode- film and record same time?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Firegirl, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Firegirl

Firegirl Guest

HI
    I am very new to the digital camcorder arena so I apologize if this is a dumb question.

I am looking for a camcorder that can take video (pref with high optical zoom and image stabilization) and can take snap photos that go to a memory card at the same time. The deal is that I would like the video camera to continue to film without any break in continuity. I recently purchased the JVC GR-DF550 dgital video camera in hopes of achieving this goal. I did some real quick research on the computer and bought it the morning we were leaving for Walt Disney world. (very last minute, trip and purchase)

Anyway, I thought it would do both simulanousey but I found out it does not. I, for example, would film the parade and periodically snap photos while filming. On playback the film is going along fine, then when I had hit snap photo, the scene froze on that moment. I then missed what happend for those few seconds. I was hoping that as the camera was taking the snap photo, some other part of the camera continued to make the video as if I as not taking a photo. But I was wrong. Does such a camera exist that can do what I am asking? or am I being quite unrealistic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I don't think that you find a camcorder that can do both at the same time. I am not sure about dual lense camcorders, but they might be able to do it simultaneously (e.g Samsung DuoCam SC-D6550, http://www.samsung.com/Products/Camcorder/MiniDV/SC_D6550XAA.asp )

Another option that you have is to use a video editing program to cut out a frame from your video and store it as a picture. The quality of such a picture will be limited however.