DV-5800A: Rip Speed Is Unacceptable

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by mobboss01, Mar 24, 2003.

1. mobboss01

mobboss01 Guest

Hi all, I have been experiencing very slow rip speeds on my _NEC DV-5800A. It is supposed to be a 16X read. I am not sure the rip speed I am supposed to get, but on the average, it is doing it only at 1.8x.

I don't want to buy another DVD-ROM if it is not broken. Are there any ways to increase the rip speed? I upgraded the firmware, but I get the same result.

BTW, I get the same results both with smartripper and dvd decrypter. Thanks in advance._X_X_X_X_X_[small]DVD-ROM: NEC DV-5800-A
    DVDRW: SONY DVD+/-RW DRU-500A
    CP: DELL 8100
    DISPLAY: NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX/MX 400
    DISK DRIVES: 2 MAXTOR 60GIG
    IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLERS: INTEL 82801BA
    NETWORK ADAPTERS: 3COM 3C920
    MONITOR: VIEWSONIC VE80[/small]

2. macgybl

macgybl Member

I have the same drive and get about 7x rip speeds.......maybe updating the firmware? If you find anymore info, let me know.

3. mobboss01

mobboss01 Guest

Ok, well now I am jealous. But really, I tried to update the firmware with no luck. I am not even sure if it worked (the upgrade).

Do you have an audio problem with DVD playback? I do, and don't know why. It seems to me that my drive is losing the old fastball. Perhaps it is the audio wire that connects to my soundcard that is screwed up. Any input would be appreciated to get the audio clear without distortion. It is really making a distorted beeping sound while thinking (when the light is flashing).

4. macgybl

macgybl Member

hmmmmmm.. sounds like the drive is going bad.....might want to look into getting a new one....dont know know much about drive alternatives... I'm sure someone else on the board can help point you in the right direction in that aspect.

5. mobboss01

mobboss01 Guest

Yeah, I want to just get a new one, but will wait for some opinions on brands. This _NEC really never worked that great.

Can someone point me in the right direction for a DVD-ROM that is great quality and comes in black so that it goes with my tower? Thanks.

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I've talked about this about gazillion times now. MPAA has silently requested DVD Forum to impose a DVD-Video reading speed restrictions on all PC DVD drives since 1st of January, 2002. Virtually all DVD drives manufactured after that date, have DVD-Video reading restrictions so that DVD-Video discs can be ripped only at max 2.00x if the disc contains copy protection mechanisms, such as CSS.

Sony DRU-500A, Pioneer A05, etc virtually all DVD-/+R drives can only rip at 2.00x because of this. I use my good olde Pioneer 115 to rip at 9.5x and use Pioneer A05 to burn at 4x :)

7. dRD

In addition to this, those few drives that don't have restrictions, obviously need to be set to work at DMA mode instead of PIO mode, otherwise the reading speeds are unacceptable.

8. mobboss01

mobboss01 Guest

Ok, dRD, with saying that...I must add that my DVD-ROM was made before that date. I believe you entirely, and now I won't even bother getting a new ROM till it breaks down cause from what you said, it appears that the new one will deliver the same speed result as this one is rendering.

Is it that my ROM is breaking that I am getting faster speeds or what? I believe that my ROM is set to run at DMA, but I checked the properties and didn't see where I can double-check that setting. I do remember that one drive couldn't run in DMA, PIO was the only choice. What is the trick to getting this ROM to run in DMA mode? I will search around for the setting, but I was wondering if I can change the setting if PIO is the only option. Thanks in advance.

9. dRD

I had the stucked-in-PIO problem with my Pioneer 115 two weeks ago under W2k as well -- Windows actually changes these settings every now and then without asking from you when it suddenly decides that your DVD drive is not acceptable for whatever reason to run under DMA mode and wont allow changing it.

Anyway, solution for 2k and XP is the same -- registry hack:

http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/20775

Remember, you _need to know_ what you're doing, otherwise don't do it.

10. mobboss01

mobboss01 Guest

That's great. I will edit the reg. I keep backups just in case my dumb ass f**ks up. Thanks for the link. It is so nice of M$ to make determinations for us isn't it? LOL.

11. mobboss01

mobboss01 Guest

Oh well, I guess my DVD-ROM by _NEC is crap. I set the IDE to make my drive to be DMA if available and edited the registry as that thread suggested, but after rebooting, the settings I changed went back to what they were before. My rip speed is 1.8x max and it is staying in PIO mode.

I have determined that my drive can only operate in PIO mode. I have tried to upgrade the firmware, but that won't help me. And, I am really screwed as per what you say dRD, the new drives are set to only rip at 2x. I guess that is all I can do. If any more suggestions, please let me know. It is great to use dvd2one, but it takes forever to rip.

12. dRD

To be specific, some people claim that the 2.00x limitation is done in the drives, not by request of MPAA but simply to stop the drives of making such big noise when used to watch DVD-Video discs. I don't know which one is true :) If the latter, there might be drives that rip faster than 2.0x available in the market.

One way is to look at eBay. Pioneer's 115 is my DVD-ROM drive and I can rip a full DVD-9 movie -- not just peaking at -- at 8.0x, peaking at 9.5x.

13. mobboss01

mobboss01 Guest

That is a nice speed dRD. I have looked into your DVD-ROM and I want one if it comes in black. The price is right at $43, probably can find a better price if I shop around at other online stores.

I will probably wait till I get a total breakdown of my ROM first. The only thing that kills me is my crappy audio the player provides. I get a beeping-like distortion when the ROM is reading data. This distortion comes through my speakers and is very noisy. So, if I can't fix that problem, I will probably just get a new ROM.

14. dRD

I'm sure there are far better drives than 115 available, the drive is _really_ old. Toshiba should make good -ROM drives as well.