DV AVI to VHS or DVD?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by gmmathers, Dec 8, 2003.

1. gmmathers

gmmathers Member

I have a SONY DVC-TRV19. I capture into Premiere and edited. I have this dazzle hardware that uses USB to go from computer to VHS, but it has to be mpeg.

As far as I can tell, premiere does not allow rendering as mpeg, but only AVI. I tried to convert to mpeg using AVI2MPEG, but the size of the screen shrunk and things were cut-off.

1.) Can I transfer my edited clip back to my DV camera?(then i am able to connect to vcr and record onto VHS)...how?

2.) Would it be easier to just record onto DVD? ( i know nothing about this, do i need a dvd-r drive? I have a regular cd-r/cd-rw drive, and i heard you can burn movies some how)

bottom line - i want to watch my edited clips on my big tv and not my little windows media player. how can i do this easiest/best quality.

Thanks a lot I appreciate any help.

Im on XP using adobe premiere 6.0

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

you should be able to send it back to the camera (minidv) or write to dvd. I don't know premiere, but many other video software suites will do both. I use Pinnacle studio 8 and it works well. I also have videowave (now roxio) which worked as well.

Don't write to vhs--you are losing a lot of signal if you do this.

3. gmmathers

gmmathers Member

thanks for the prompt response...

my main question now is whether I need a dvd burning drive to make the DVD? I have heard you can burn files to CD-R somehow and they work on dvd players....?

if not, whats the price range for these dvd drives

4. ReeL12

ReeL12 Guest

I'm not 100% sure if TRV-19 has DV-in...
    If it does, you can do this in Premiere - File - Export timeline - Export to tape.
    Make sure You have empty tape in your cam !
    Then you can watch the thing from your TV.

If you wan't to make DVD you need appropriate software and hardware and DVD player if you don't have one.

With CD-R drive you can do Video-CD:s but picture quality sucks. You can find more info from VCD/SVCD forum.