DV to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by enigma687, Mar 6, 2003.

1. enigma687

enigma687 Member

I was recently asked to record a concert i was at and then author it and put it onto dvd. I have the video ready and capture card. After connecting my cam through vcr to capture card (otherwise i get no sound). I use winfast to capture the video but end up having the audio and video out of sync. I need to get the audio and video in sync before i can author it and put it onto dvd for sale. Could my problem be that my cpu is too slow? I currently have an AMD Duron 1.3 but i am waiting for my AMD Athlon XP 2600+ to come in. I hope this is the problem.

Any other ideas as to what the problem is would be great.

Thanks,

Enigma

2. marcjd

marcjd Member

Was this a digital video camcorder that you were using? If so, do you have a DV Firewire card installed on your computer? If so, wouldn't you just want to transfer it directly from the camcorder to the computer and keep it all digital, which may avoid any sync problems?

If not and if you have an analog capture card, you should be able to still go directly from your camcorder to the PC via some RCA or SVHS cables.

Regards,

Marc

3. enigma687

enigma687 Member

I am using an analog capture card as i don't have a firewire card as the dv cam i used i had borrowed from my friend.

I have, however, got the sync back and have just now finished authoring the dvd and am now making the dvd video files. All i did was lower the recording volume and then drop the bitrate of the capture video.

I now have a very good quality video with clear sound and am looking forward to watching the dvd on my standalone.

One thing i need to ask is if i put the movie onto DVD+RW, do i first need to close the disc, otherwise my standalon (Panasonic RV-31A) says that it can't play the disc. Not sure what the problem here is however.

Thanks for the help,

Enigma

4. tark101

tark101 Guest

Im kinda in the same boat, I have no problem capturing my files from my video camera, but what type of file do I need to play on a dvd?

What are you saving them as?

do you save them as mpeg 2, avi, what?

Thanks!!!!

5. enigma687

enigma687 Member

Well it all depends on the program you are using to author the program to dvd. I am using ulead video stuido which is pretty straight forward. Once you finish all the editing that you need to do and what not, just hit save project so that you wont have to start again if your computer freezes whiule encoding. Then all you need to do is click on make vcd, svcd or dvd, best done overnight, and you awake in the morning needing only to setup the chapters, create the dvd video files and then burn to blank dvd.

If you let us all know what program you are using, however, it would help us help you.

Cheers,

Enigma

6. anim8r_x

anim8r_x Member

I have two capture setups, a DPS Perception for analog capture and a firewire card for DV capture from my VX2000.

If capturing to firewire you will end up with avi's which need to be reencoded to MPegs. This is the best way to capture DV as capturing analog through the S-Video port you will lose quality.

I use either Ulead DVD Workshop or DVD It Pro to author the disks but I only ever use Tsunami TMPGEnc to encode them to MPegs.

Both of these programs can encode, my opinion is that TMPGEnc gives me more control over the encoding for better results.

I also do not burn the disk through either of these programs, I create an image file with the programs and then use Nero to create compliant disks . (I use DVD+RW/R)

If you are authoring the disk correctly the disk will be closed off even if it is an -RW/+RW.

7. Surrey

Surrey Member

I may be stating the obvious, but on my capture card (actually its an Asus AGP video card) I can only capure video. I have to connect the L/R audio to the line-in to capture the sound. Using various capture software (Sonic's myDVD is cheap and good), I then get an MPEG2 file with Audio and video.

If you have firewire, that's much better quality, so use that.

8. enigma687

enigma687 Member

Well, i ended up getting a firewire crad and was very happy to have done so. The card and cable were relatively cheap, very easy to use and much faster than the analogue card i was using before.

Enigma