DVD and CD drive not detected

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by ScooterTN, Jan 10, 2004.

1. ScooterTN

ScooterTN Member

I have a video editing software app that would not recognize my DVD burner. In an attempt to correct that problem I created a much worse problem!

I downloaded and installed the wrong firmware, now both of my drives (a CD burner and a DVD burner) are not detected when I reboot. They now no longer exist in device manager. They won't event eject when I press the button.

I have removed the cover and disconnected them both, rebooted, reconnected them both and restarted in hopes that would fix the problem but still nothing.

I have checked the BIOS - the secondary IDE controller is enabled and configured to automatically detect devices.

I have unistalled and reinstalled the secondary IDE controller. Still nothing.

I have unistalled the SCSI/RAID controller. Still nothing.

I have checked, double checked and triple checked to make sure that everything is firmly plugged in, but still nothing.

I am running XP by the way.

This is making me crazy!

I would appreciate any help.

THANKS!

2. neongirl

neongirl Member

Did you get this figured..as I am currently having the same problem..thanks

3. ScooterTN

ScooterTN Member

Not exactly. After I posted the message I decided to do some testing. I switched the CD and DVD drives from/to slave & master, switched the power source and tried each alone without the other.

The CD burner worked by itself when the DVD drive was disconnected.

Nothing was happening with the DVD burner. It didn't even appear to be getting power. I think it's fried.

Looks like it's time to buy another DVD burner.

Good luck to you.

4. Buik

Buik Regular member

Have you recently installed MS Critical Updates? I did that a short while back (W2K). Wreaked havoc w/2 systems. Still have hardware that cannot use.