DVD Bit copiers

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by midowan, Jul 23, 2003.

1. midowan

midowan Member

All the documentation I have read about DVD Xcopy states its a 1:1 copier.

Does this mean it does a bit for bit replication or just a lossless replication?

The question is more aroung a discussion I was having with a co-worker who believes that this is not legal.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well at least a I understand it, if you own the movie then you are entitled to make a backup copy in case the copy you purchased is rendered unplayable.

3. midowan

midowan Member

Sorry a little more clarification is needed.

My Co-Worker believes it is illegal to bit for bit copy a DVD and that the 1:1 copiers (Such as DVD Xcopy) cant make an exact copy of a DVD. Eveything I read tells me that this is exactly what these 1:1 copiers do.

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

If you own something, or have a full licence for it, then you can make an exact copy of it. You can not sell that copy or give it away or technically show it some one else. But you can, if you can, make an exact copy of it. Thats how presidents choice (Canadian food label) can go to the super market, buy product x, run mass spec and lost other science equipment I will not bore you with and reprodce that product with a slight variation and sell to people. The key to selling it, is that it can't be the same. But you have full rights to protect your property. Thank the gun carrying Americans for that one, with the copy right laws that other countries copied. With slight variations of course._X_X_X_X_X_[small]I am not a number
    I am a Free Man[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2003
  5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You cant make bit for bit copies because of CSS> You need to De-CSS the DVD and then copy the contents. Im just being pernickity