DVD burner

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Bestmiler, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

Hello. I just got a new computer and I was wondering what are its capabilities. I searched the web but i think that since the burner might be new, i cant find much information. I have two drives but im not sure if they are both dvd burners. Can someone please help me out. Thanks.

Here is some information:

Device type: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8164B
    Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)

the other drive:

Device type: Philips DVD+-RW DVD8701
    Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2005
  2. JVC

JVC Active member

Your info there says that one is a dvd rom, which is for [bold]watching[/bold] movies and acts as a cd rom also.
    The other is a dvd burner, which is for [bold]burning[/bold] movies on dvd blanks. It will also burn cds, allow you to watch movies, and act as a cd rom too.

Having both will make life much easier, when it comes to backing up commercial movies you own.
    Good luck!

3. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

what would be the easiest approach to backing up a dvd with 2 drives?

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

2 drives....... one will be a burner (combo) and the other being a dvd-rom
    means, basically, you can rip while buring at the same time. saves some time.
    i'm not gonna hammer you this time, but you seem to be having multiple tasks you are trying to do all at the same time, you need to tackle one job at a time. you will be overwheled with so much info, you are liable to mess something up in the process.

5. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@Gear79, this is the 4th forum I have located this JM in asking questions, I agree with you...he's only causing himself confusion therefore I have decided to offer no further help as you answer one thread only to find either he hasn't listened or he's asking something else at the same time in another forum.

@Bestmiller, I wish you well but you have lost any further assistance from me.

6. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

Im sorry you feel that way.

7. gear79

gear79 Guest

it's a conspiracy i tell you......

8. dr_no

dr_no Regular member

Bestmiler, a little advice to you if you don't mind, all these guys/girls were trying to help you with your previous threads. Please do yourself a favor and start reading some of the tutorials.

By the way it is a good idea of having two drives in one pc. It will give you more flexibility, specially in ripping those movies. Sometime one might help you through when the other fails reading the dvd.

gear79 and gwendolin like your new sigs :)

9. gear79

gear79 Guest

thanks dr_no......... welcome to aD.
    can't say i have seen you here before..
    sometimes you just gotta sit back, take a breath, and learn to ignore certain threads.

10. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

dr_no...i know what your talkin about and thx for the advice. It seems that every time i ask a question theres always someone there to say something dumb. However, if someone else asks the same question then everybody answers and everything is happy.

11. gear79

gear79 Guest

lets take a moment to reflect, you, bestmiller, have been called out, not once, not twice, not three times, but four times from other members......... no i am not here to start a flame war, but having that amout of members saying that either they will not help you anymore, or have given you the info needed to accomplish what you are looking for, even give you a walk through how to do something, and you have yet to understand, we/us/me are not here cuz we are getting paid to do it, but instead, using our free time & knowledge to help you.
    you are trying to do too many things too fast and you yourself are becoming confused with what you are asking and the things you are trying to do. i understand you got a new computer and eager to learn, but take things one step at a time. once you master a skill, move on, try things differently, step it up a notch..
    you should be thankful your threads have been answered, there are several threads in here, way older then yours that have not gotten a single answer.
    understand this, when help is given to you freely and you dont understand the first time, i will let it slide, but when you, for a lack of better words, ask basically the same question over and over, it gets old real fast. i am a highly skilled auto technician by trade, and believe me, when i have a helper work for me, or any other rookie technician in the feild, and i have to babysit or hold his hand, it pisses me off, not only am i loosing money that way, but time too.......... and in my line of work, [bold]time is money[/bold]
    if you try to teach someone your skills and knowledge, and the person on the other end is not receptive to what you are trying to teach, then it begins to make you upset. it's like trying to teach a dog a new trick who refuses to learn it.... tends to get old..

in closing, i regret getting mad at you, but please understand where i am coming from. everything has be laid out for you, the tools are here, utilize them... learn from other threads, members, guides, and most importantly, trial and error.

not a single person in here i am sure, got everything perfect the first time around. it takes practice my friend.

use this site, people's knowledge, skills, time, and guides to your advantage. if at first you dont succeed, try, try, and try again.

12. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@Bestmiller, I have nothing to add. Have a Happy Christmas.