1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Drives for Wii & Gamecube Backups

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by uou, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob7bt

rob7bt Member

Hi from memory it could be a net framework error
    Have you got net framework installed (2.0),if you have try uninstalling net framework (3.0), if you have that then try rawdump again.
    Just a thought.

2. Liddle

Liddle Member

Just got a GDR-8161B. Now the problem is getting it to work! Have a Dell PC with only SATA slots and running Vista, so looking for either adaptors or an external enclosure. Everything external I find seems not to be Vista-compatible and now unsure whether I'll have similar issues if I go the internal route. Any suggestions, links or advice? Thanks from a newbie - will do my best to contribute more.(And thanks OP and others for this great thread)

3. kane10057

kane10057 Member

I am assuming if the DVD drive will not work it WILL NOT read the disk or give the correct dump size?

disk dump= 4,699,979,776 bytes

I should be good to go.. correct?

Thanks..

K.

4. mehrai

mehrai Member

I just bought a GDR-8082N(Dell) F/W 0106. I also bought a 50 PIN JAE CD/DVD-Rom to IDE adapter and a Laptop CD/DVD-Rom To USB 2.0 External Slim Case and a IDE to USB2.0 Adapter DVD/CD/2.5"3.5"
    The drive will not read Wii games in the external case.(It will play movies though)The USB chipset in the unit is a Genesys GL811E.
    If I hook up the 50 PIN JAE CD/DVD-Rom to IDE adapter to the drive and connect it to my other USB enclosure (5.25") the drive works perfectly at about 1280MB/hr The chipset is a Oxford OXFW911-IQ-A.
    The IDE to USB2.0 Adapter DVD/CD/2.5"3.5" is utterly useless it seems.
    Does anyone have an answer.
    Are there any reasonably priced Laptop CD/DVD-Rom To USB 2.0 External Slim Cases around that use a Genesys chipset and actually work with this drive?
    Thanks in advance.

5. brightspk

brightspk Guest

Hi,

Yes does sound like the chipset in the USB/JDE connector...

http://www.tiger111hk.com/product_info.php?products_id=53

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laptop-CD-DVD...ryZ74949QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The latter i've used and on that drive... i did flash to 120 but i'm sure it tested the case on both firmware releases

You could try flashing the drive to dell 120 firmware or even flashing the drive to the ibm firmware... that may solve your issue... but has a risk...

What are your sympton's ?

6. mehrai

mehrai Member

brightspk,

Thanks you for taking the time to answer. The links you provided are exactly the enclosures in question. I in fact bought mine at the 1st link. The Dell drive just revs up and down and does not seem to want to settle. I flashed the GDR-8082N to F/W 120 but it is the same. As stated before, the drive works perfectly with the other USB 2.0 5.25" enclosure I have. I may try to flash it to an IBM firmware.
    Which one do you suggest? I created a CD bootdisk and used the drive in my other system to boot to DOS to flash. It flashed perfectly.
    brightspk, if you were able to use a GDR-8082N in the said Laptop CD/DVD-Rom To USB 2.0 External Slim Case, it makes me wonder if I have a faulty Chipset in mine.
    Waiting for your reply.
    Thanks,
    Rai.

7. Katamari7

Katamari7 Member

I just picked up a working drive off ebay.

Friidump 0.4 works great with SSBB and Super Paper Mario.

Drive model number is HL-DT-ST/DVD-ROM GDR8161B/0040
    Rips at about 1015 MB/hr on an external USB cart.

8. brightspk

brightspk Guest

mehrai

What are your symptom's... ?

Does the drive work for movies / other data dvd's ?

9. mehrai

mehrai Member

brightspk,

In either case, before at 0106 and after flashing to 0120 the drive will not work at all in the Laptop CD/DVD-Rom To USB 2.0 External Slim Case
    [​IMG] which I bought at the 1st link you mentioned above. I suspect the USB 2.0 decoder chip that this unit comes with.
    Have you used an external slim case on your GDR-8082N drives before and if so, could you tell me which one and where you bought the unit?
    The drives works flawlessly using a 50pin to Desktop IDE 40pin Adapter
    [​IMG]
    in a regular USB 2.0 enclosure. No problem with RawDump at all.

mehrai

10. brightspk

brightspk Guest

Hi,

Same case.... 'Exactly...'

Its fine on two machines, but does seam to suffer on one laptop...
    As you state, sounds like a chipset issue to me...

I can get the drive to work on the laptop, but it can be a pain in the A£$E !

11. gilclose

gilclose Guest

12. gilclose

gilclose Guest

cant find you on ebay please advise
    thanks
    gilberc

13. gilclose

gilclose Guest

hi iam searching for a drive without to much luck
    i am located in australia, if you have ideas as to where ican find one i would be appreciative of your efforts to reply
    thanks
    gilberc

14. peter1929

peter1929 Member

will a LG GSA4160B dual layer burner work ?

15. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

gilclose, lets watch the post padding/multiposting please.

16. nick2281

nick2281 Member

Hey guys, new here but just wanted to add another confirmation that my (COMPAQ) GDR-8160B firmware 0012 does not work. I think it's something like this one someone posted:
    IDE/CDROMCOMPAQ_DVD-ROM_GDR8160B_____________0012_____

Anyone wanna buy it for $24 shipped priority?

17. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@nick2281
    If you want to sell it post in aD's Marketplace - link

18. jbloggs

jbloggs Member

I'm sure the rip-off prices for these 'special' drives will now come to an end since it is now possible to backup games striaght from the wii to the PC via Wi-Fi using the newly released IOS249 and Wiihttpd and Homebrew channel. I have not done this myself but others have successfully. No more need for special drive, sd gecko or usb gecko.

19. brightspk

brightspk Guest

I carn't recall who asked the question but you can use the

CRC32, MD4, MD5, SHA-1 and ED2K hashes of dumped discs, so you can immediately know if your dump is good or not

I still think these drives are a better option, dumping using the wii regardless of how is still putting strain on the drive.

I surpose its simply a matter of which is the cheapest to replace if you lost it ?

the wii drive or a rawdump / friidump drive - i'd imagine the rawdump/friidump drive...

a new wii drive would invalidate your warranty and you may want an engineer to install it for you if your not to good at it...

Just my point of view... ;-)

20. wii75

wii75 Guest

Sort fo off base, but I saw this link posted earlier for an install of the Wii Mod D2CPro and am curious what is the song playing? Can anyone tell me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.