DVD encoding

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Lazyspace, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Lazyspace

Lazyspace Member

I am new here and don't really know where to post questions like this:

I have some DVDs that contain files with the following extensions :( VOB, IFO, and BUP) the file types I need to handle are probably not limited to those listed.

I use DBpoweramp and Exact Audio Copy to deal with music CDs which are wonderful tools. Now I need some tools for DVDs.

Specifically, I need to immortalize some DVDs onto my server and need some advice. I don’t want to lose any data during the process (no lossy formats).

I need a single file to contain all the data. I could probably store the files an ISO image but I also want a format that most media players can use or even stream.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. attar

attar Senior member

DVD FAB will rip the the DVD to a folder (the .vob .bup and .ifo files) or a single .iso image.

3. Lazyspace

Lazyspace Member

Thanks attar.

Is it possible to simply copy the files on the DVD to a folder (copy and paste). It doesn't work that way with audio CDs but I can actually see the files and there sizes on the DVD. Would I miss hidden material?

I also noticed the audio_TS folder contains no files on the DVD but they play fine when inserted into a DVD player. Does that mean the audio is in the VOB files. Please give a little more direction.

4. attar

attar Senior member

The AUDIO_TS folder is normally empty on a DVD - but since it's part of the original DVD specs, it's required for standalone players - I don't know about external media players.
    Thw VOB files are mpeg2 files that include video, audio, subtitle streams.
    You can paste the files to the desktop from a disk - but note that the files are often encrypted and playback may be problem inasmuch as the video would be messed up.

As a side note, after a DVD has been ripped, you can use VOB2MPG to convert the VOB files to one large MPEG2 file.
    Since there is no encoding, there is no loss of quality.
    Note that this step is used to only convert the Title - no menu.

5. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

i would use dvdshrink, it will copy the files to a folder for use. most times no quality changes will be made. if the dvd is large 8gb cut out the audio streams you do not want and subtitles this will leave more room for the video files to have better quality.

6. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

DvdFab, as Attar has mentioned, is the better option to copy the dvd to a folder, as it's still being updated. Dvd shrink, while it still has its uses, is very much outdated as a rudimentary ripper, as the last update for it was several years ago.