dvd playback in green and red only

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by schuh, Jul 19, 2006.

1. schuh

schuh Member

I would like to know why suddenly our dvd is playing all dvds in red and green colors only. Did one of the lasers burn out? We have tried to use the menu to make display adjustments and I have used a dvd product to clean the unit but nothing is working. The player is an older model DVD-RV41 Panasonic. We are ready to just buy another one rather than continue trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Thanks.

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

How old is it?

Try playing the disks in another unit. If they are fine in that other unit, I would expect the old player to be broken. Probably cost more to fix than just buy a new one.

If you can't see anything obviously disconnected or fixed through a minor adjustment, I would just buy a new one that plays everything.

Should be able to find something nice and new (with warranty) for like $50. Big Lots have the Cyberhome 300 for about $27 (but it has a dinky remote). It was not the one that plays PAL and NTSC; no switchable voltages either.

3. schuh

schuh Member

Thanks. I should have thought to do that. We have the 65" big screen which has hd capabilities. Does it make a difference to get the dvd with the hd? Whereas I looked at Best Buy and they have a unit with 5 discs which I really don't want.

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I have not used HD anything yet. Too much $ for me.

But, if you have a DVD player that is not HD and the disks that you have are not HD, then just feeding that regular signal to an HD setup won't make it HD. You will just have the regular DVD playing on a very big screen.

If you really want HD on disk, get out the bucks. Then you will need to pick from Blu Ray or HDDVD, the modern day VHS vs Beta war. As far as I know there is not yet an agreed upon Standard for HD. I am sitting this one out awhile.

5. schuh

schuh Member

I probably will just get the cheapest hd dvd that I can. I am going to do the thing you mentioned as I have 2 other dvd players. Just so much going on at work I don't have time to think at home. Take care.