DVD player and HDMI

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by wick780, Sep 5, 2006.

1. wick780

wick780 Member

I am in search of a new DVD player since mine crapped out. When buying something I always like to do a ridiculous amount of reasearch and understand what I am buying. It can very time consuming looking for all the answers... I have learned now to just post at this site. I get all the answers I need quickly. I realize this question has been asked probably a hundred times, but alot of the threads would be dead and asking a follow up question would be annoying.

I have a Akai PDP4273M 42" Plasma Television. I guess what I want to know about is the whole HDMI and upconverting I read about. Would these benifit me any? I don't view any HD programs or anything. If I ran a HDMI cable to my TV would I see noticalbe quality difference with normal DVD's? How about with upconverting? I don't see the point of upconverting HD...then again I don't see how upconverting a normal DVD is going to work. If so, I would doubt it would be HD quality.

I am using Component (Y Pb Pr) now. I used a progressive scan DVD player and thought the picture was great. If a DVD player that supports HDMI and upconverting can make it better I figure why not just grab one. I am new to most of these terms and my brain is being bombed with terms I know nothing about, please help sort my mind.

TV Specs:

TV Type: Plasma
    Screen Size: 42"
    Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    HDTV: HDTV
    Audio Type: Stereo
    Display Resolution: 1024 x 1024
    HD compatible through HDMI or Component (Y Pb Pr) inputs
    480p, 720p, 1080i input capability
    16:9 aspect ratio. 1,024 x 1,024 native resolution for optimal HDTV performance

2. JVC

JVC Active member