dvd player audio source which setting is best

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by sorrow93, Mar 7, 2008.

1. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

I am using a new dvd player primarily as an audio player (cd) because it's a cheaper alternative my question would be what should I select the audio as - I'm using the left and right RCA plugs in the aux of my stereo system

it gives me the following choices which make little sense to me:

audio setup menu:

SPDIF/OFF
    SPDIF/RAW
    SPDIF/PCM
    ANALOG

the default seems to be working okay but I would love to learn the best setting for left/right audio on a standard stereo system

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

If you want better sound, I suggest using a set of toslink cables. The SPDIF settings are primarily used to carry uncompressed/compressed digital audio. Keywords here DIGITAL. You can't carry a digital signal with those 2-channel stereo cables(RCA), due to that fact that it's an analog connection and doesn't have the bandwidth.

I'm assuming you don't have a receiver and if this is the case, use the SPDIF/PCM setting(only with toslink cables). Raw can be used when you have a receiver that can decode the audio signal. PCM can only be used when you don't have the ability to decode the audio signal.

Below is a set of toslink cables. You should be able to find them at any Best Buy or Circuit City. I would recommend ordering from a place like Monoprice if you don't mind waiting on the cables. BB and CC usually only sale those 30-80 dollar cables. If it's going to be a short run, the cheaper cables shouldn't matter.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2008
  3. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

thanks for the info and help goodswipe
    had no idea you'd replied didn't get the afterdawn thread update email.
    I'm checking on those cables locally
    cheers

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

No problem...