dvd player help

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by blktrail, Nov 29, 2006.

1. blktrail

blktrail Guest

i was wondering i have dvds i have burn they sony -r brand now when i play them back on my dvd player(phillips) it plays find but when i try them on another dvd player it doesn't can u explain why and what can i do so they can play on any dvd player

2. JVC

JVC Active member

If your burner is capable, you can burn +R discs instead, and Booktype them to be DVD Roms. They will be more compatible with players then. Store bought movies are DVD Roms. That's why they play in almost all players. Info on Booktyping here:
    http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    and here:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Increased-compatibility-DVD-bitsetting.html

If your burner isn't capable, try burning at a slower speed, and use [bold]only[/bold] quality media (Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, or anything made in Japan).
    Good luck!

3. blktrail

blktrail Guest

so you say if i can't do that use only good dvds so sony most not be a good dvd to burn movies on? plus the nero i have is a old versin so i don't know if i can change the booktyping info but my burner is capiable for +r dvds

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Sony is good media. Especially the ones made in Japan. DVD players like some brands better than others. Depends on the player's firmware.
    +R discs can be booktyped to DVD Rom........-R discs cannot. Booktyping to DVD Rom makes the discs more compatible with players.

A friend has a new Sony dvd player. It won't play a couple of store bought dvds he bought. Lady and the Tramp is one of them. I got his movie, and made a copy for him (booktyped it to DVD Rom). His Sony will play the copy, but not the original. He took the player back and exchanged it, for another one like it, and it is the same way.

We just have to learn to deal with all this stuff.........

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

There's a lot of variations between the lasers of dvd players and burners. It's also a compatability issue. That's why some players will play your dash,plus,1 of those 2,both,or even none of your backups.

Now when you get a player that plays a backup perfectly,then slap it in other players-there's more chance of them reacting to them like a no disc/dirty disc/wrong region/or wrong format error because they won't recognize a dvd backup. It's all about compatability of all the formats.

I've even seen players that would play the dash format from my benq drive,while giving a no disc error when using exact same dash backup from my HP drive. That shows the variations between those 2 drives. Some players have trouble with:

Certain format
    Certain MID coded media
    Different burners
    Burn programs

That's why I booktype the plus format to dvd-rom. It makes my backups look like they're actually dvd-rom format which is what the original dvds are. A booktyped backup will have a higher compatability rate vs the dash.

What's the brand name and model# of your dvd-rw drive?

1)Quality booktyping drive like: Benq /Plextor/Lite-on/LG/some sony drives

2)Quality plus format media: Taiyo yuden,Maxell Hitachi,Verbatim

I used to have major compatability issues when playing backups on my family's players.I had 2 different drives and had to watch out for who got which backup from what drive. Since adding a 2nd,3rd,and 4th benq drives- All those compatability issues dissolved and I can send my backups anywhere in the world without worrying about compatability issues. I don't have to keep dash around anymore.