DVD player that will play MP3s off of a DVD+R/RW

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by GuyInCO, Jun 9, 2003.

1. GuyInCO

GuyInCO Member

I have a big problem! I want to buy a new DVD player for higher quality playback. My current DVD player is a cheapo $50 Wall-Mart special. It's an Apex brand and I've had problems with it skipping on certain DVDs.

The problem is that it has one feature I really like! I have burned all my CDs onto a couple of DVD+Rs in MP3 format. I can fit about 1500 songs on one disk! My Apex DVD player is capable of playing MP3s off of a DVD+R.

However, all of the higher quality DVD players I've looked at, including those with both DVD+R and MP3 capability are able to play MP3s off of a CD, but not from a DVD.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a higher quality DVD player that will play MP3s recorded on a DVD+R disk?

TIA,
    ROB

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You are going to have a hard time finding that i think. I did look for you, but came up with nothing. Aren't you happy with 150 songs on one CD. 1500 Songs is great for backing up onto a DVD, but for playback, shouldnt you stick to a CD. Who could ever listen to 1500 songs in a row..........

As for a high Quality DVD Player - Marantz DVD6200 - $499 - don't know if it plays Mp3, but what a player..._X_X_X_X_X_[small]He who Asks for Nothing, Shall Never be Dissapointed![/small]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2003
  3. GuyInCO

GuyInCO Member

It's not that I listen to all 1500 songs in a row. It's like having my own radio though. I hit the shuffle button and songs I haven't heard in months keep popping up. Also, I have them organized into folders, so I can listen to any disk I want without having to swap out the DVD. It's just really easy and convenient.

And I didn't mean high quality, I just meant higher. The only ones that play MP3s of off DVDs seem to be in the $50-$75 range. I was wondering about maybe the $100-$200 range.

Thanks a lot for the reply though! I'm afraid you're right, that only the cheapest ones have this feature.

But if anyone else knows differently, let me know!

Thanks!
    ROB

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What you are probably going to find is that the cheaper dvd players are the one that have all the features. I've noticed that in the UK a lot. Say with multi region and MP3 players - the cheaper ones had them first.

I understand what you are saying about the DVD, but is it worth spending more for that feature. It might be...im not sure.

5. GuyInCO

GuyInCO Member

Not spending more, spending less! I'd rather spend more and get better quality, but for this feature I guess I'm stuck with the bargain-basement type DVD players.

ROB

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You spend less for the features and you spend more for the feature. The middle of the ball park doesnt get them at all. It is quite confusing, NAD produce a DVD Player that plays MP3's, it costs $700 and better still, marantz are launching a new Audio DVD Player with SACD as well that will cost you over $3000. But take away the SACD function and it is exactly the same as the Tio DVD Player at $80 (import only) but without the quality.

Best of luck finding what you want

7. GuyInCO

GuyInCO Member

Thanks for the help. So basically what you're saying is that this particular feature is only found in either $50 DVD players (like my current Apex model) or high end players over $3-400 at the minimum?

I'm disappointed, but glad that I got a definative answer. Thanks!

ROB